Individual & Family Life Insurance (I&F) offers term life insurance to you, your spouse or domestic partner, and eligible children. You may initially select up to $20,000 of employee coverage, $10,000 of spouse or domestic partner coverage, and $5,000 of child(ren) coverage. There is an annual opportunity to increase coverage.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of a death, this plan provides the following components:
- An annual opportunity to increase coverage level.
- If you become terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, you may receive up to the full amount of your coverage prior to your death. This living benefit is also available for an insured spouse/domestic partner or child.
- Conversion to an individual policy at the end of employment.
- Premiums may be waived to age 65 if you become totally disabled prior to turning age 60.
- Access to the Lifestyle Benefit Program through Securian Financial which offers legal, financial and grief resources, travel assistance, legacy planning resources and beneficiary financial counseling to all active, State of Wisconsin employees. This program is offered free of charge and no enrollment is required. For more information review the LifeStyle Benefits Program web page.
Individual & Family Life Insurance (Group Policy #32871-G) is administered by University of Wisconsin System Administration and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
The following requirements must be met to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for State Group Health Insurance; and
- Not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) annuity.
Note: If you and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible for this plan as UW System employees, you and your spouse/domestic partner may only be covered as an employee OR a dependent – not both. This rule also applies to your eligible children who are eligible for this plan as an employee.
You have 30 days from your date of employment or newly benefits-eligible job to enroll in Individual & Family Life Insurance (I&F). Coverage will begin on the first of the month following 30 days from your eligibility date.
If you do not enroll in during your initial 30-day enrollment period, you may apply for coverage at any time through Evidence of Insurability (approval not guaranteed). The Evidence of Insurability form can be accessed in the Forms & Resources section below. Coverage through evidence of insurability is effective on the first of the month on or following approval of the employee’s application by the plan’s underwriter.
If you do not enroll and are not covered by the WRS when initially eligible for coverage, you will receive another opportunity to enroll if you later obtain a WRS benefits eligible position, provided you do not incur a break in service of 30 days or more. The enrollment period will be for 30 days from the date you become WRS benefit eligible.
If you do not enroll eligible family members during your initial 30-day enrollment period, you may add spouse/domestic partner and/or child(ren) coverage if you have a qualifying life event. See Life Events for more information.
Note: You may decrease or cancel coverage at any time during the year.
There are four (4) different initial levels of Employee coverage and two (2) initial levels of Spouse/Domestic Partner and Child(ren) coverage.
For detailed information on who you can cover on this plan, see the .
You may elect to increase Employee and Spouse/Domestic Partner coverage in increments of $5,000 during the Annual Increase Option period. Child coverage can be increased in increments of $2,500.
|Coverage Type||Initial Enrollment
|Maximum Coverage Level|
$15,000 or $20,000
|Spouse / Domestic Partner||$5,000 or $10,000||$150,000|
|Child(ren)||$2,500 or $5,000||$25,000|
|Note: The amount of Spouse/DP and Child(ren) coverage may never exceed the amount of Employee coverage in effect.
Employees must enroll in Employee coverage in order to enroll in Spouse/Domestic Partner and/or Child coverage.
If you become disabled, you may be eligible to continue your Individual & Family Life Insurance at no cost.
Premium Waiver Eligibility
- Under age 60,
- Insured under the Individual & Family Life Insurance program when you become disabled,
- Totally disabled for more than six continuous months, and
- Premiums are paid during the first six months you are off work due to disability and until your claim is approved.
Premium Waiver Information
- Notify your institution of your disability as soon as it occurs. Your institution will file the premium waiver for you.
- You may continue the same coverage amount in effect while actively employed. Coverage amount may not be increased.
- As long as you remain disabled, the premium waiver will stay in effect until your 65th birthday or until you fail to furnish proof of your disability.
You are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. Whenever a life event, such as a marriage, divorce, or birth of a child, occurs, review and update your beneficiary designations. Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
For more information on beneficiary designations, see the Beneficiary Information page.
For Individual & Family Life Insurance premiums review the Benefit Premiums web page.
Employee and spouse premiums are based on the coverage level you elected and your age as of January 1st each year. Premium for child(ren) coverage is based on the coverage level elected.
Forms & Resources
- Conversion Form – Contact UW-Shared Services, Service Operations at email@example.com or (888) 298-0141 (7:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday) to obtain a conversion form.
- Terms and Conditions
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.