UW System employees have the option to contribute to Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and/or a Health Savings Account (HSA).

With a FSA, expect to spend the money set aside within the year it is set aside. With a HSA the funds can be saved until needed — even if the funds are not needed until well into the future. Another key difference is the FSA features a “use it or lose it” rule; this rule does not apply to the HSA.

If the employee does not enroll in an FSA or HSA during their initial 30-day enrollment period, they may enroll during the Annual Benefits Enrollment (ABE) period or if they have a qualifying life event (see Life Events in the left hand menu for more information).

Not sure where to start? Talk with ALEX or click on the links below to read more about each of the plans.


Click below to learn more about each plan.

Please note: Parking & Transit Accounts are no longer offered as of June 1, 2018. Employees enrolled prior to June 1, 2018 may continue to use the funds in their parking and/or transit accounts until exhausted or they become ineligible for the plan(s). These accounts, also known as “commuter benefits,” are designed to reimburse eligible parking and or/ transit expenses with money that was set aside from earnings that was not subject to federal income or Social Security taxes. If you pay for University parking through payroll deduction, your parking costs are not eligible for reimbursement by the parking account.


Please see the individual plans for eligibility information.

Forms & Resources

For all forms and resources, click on Forms & Resources in the left hand menu.

last updated: 12/06/2018

Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.