Most people will spend up to one-third of their life in retirement so it is important to prepare and save money now in order to support yourself during your golden years. Experts estimate that you will need at least 70% of your pre-retirement income to maintain the same standard of living once you stop working. Several programs are available through your UW System employment to help you meet your financial needs in retirement.
Are you an employee looking to retire? Refer to Life Events for specific information on benefits at retirement.
Saving for Retirement
UW System employees have several options to save money for retirement:
- Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) is a major source of retirement income and also provides disability, separation, and survivor benefits. This program is mandatory for eligible employees.
- Supplemental Retirement Savings Plans set aside money for retirement on a pre-tax or post-tax (Roth) basis.
- Social Security & Medicare
- Retirement Toolkit (U.S. Department of Labor)
- Taking the Mystery Out of Retirement Planning (U.S. Department of Labor)
last updated: 12/9/2016
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.