Every Classified employee in a leave-eligible position is required to submit both time worked and leave taken on a bi-weekly basis either on a paper timesheet or electronically. Contact your payroll office for your institution’s paper timesheet or for instructions on how to access your electronic timesheet.
Time worked and paid leave will be reported in 15 minute increments.
Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees
Every Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointee in a leave-eligible position is required to submit a leave report on a monthly basis, whether or not leave is used. This report may be submitted either via paper leave report or electronically.
You will find your paper leave report at your MyUW portal in the Time and Absence module under the Statements tab. The paper leave reports will be populated to your MyUW portal on the first of every month. Contact your payroll office for instructions on how to access your electronic timesheet, if applicable.
Full time employees will report leave in full day and half day increments. Absences between two and six hours should be reported as a half-day. Absences over six hours should be reported as a full day. If you are less than full time, you may report your absences in 15 minute increments.
An Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointee who fails to file a report on leave usage as required by UW System policy in one or more months of any fiscal year shall not be permitted to accrue sick leave for that year in an amount exceeding 8.5 days for annual employees and 6.4 days for academic year employees.
Designated Work Week
For the purpose of reporting leave, every full-time leave-eligible employee will designate a work week consisting of 40 hours. The work week will be pro-rated for a less than full-time appointment.
A normal work week is considered to consist of 40 hours worked within a fixed and regularly recurring period of seven consecutive days. Hours worked per day may vary.
For Unclassified Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees, the work week will include all scheduled classes, office hours, and research, as well as other regular University meetings and professional activities.
The work week will be defined either by:
- Automatic consent to the standard business week Monday through Friday from 7:45 AM to 4:30 PM; or
- By mutual agreement, in writing, with the department chair or other designated supervisor.
- If you are in an academic year Unclassified Faculty or Academic Staff appointment, you will need to report any sick leave taken if you work during the summer months.
- Only one leave report will need to be completed for the entire summer and it will be available to you at the end of the summer.
- Sick leave used during the summer months may be reported in 15 minute increments.