Contact your human resources office.
State Group Life Insurance (SGL) offers term life insurance to employees and their spouse or domestic partner and eligible children. Coverage is based on an employee’s annual salary. An employee may elect coverage of up to five times his or her annual salary, up to $20,000 of spouse or domestic partner coverage and up to $10,000 of child coverage.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of a death, this plan provides the following benefits:
- Employee coverage is based on your annual earnings – if your annual earnings increase, your coverage automatically increases the following year.
- If you are terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, you may receive up to the full amount of your coverage prior to your death.
- If your death is accidental, your death benefit will double.
- If you have a dismemberment or experience loss of use, you will receive a portion of your benefit.
- of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment.
- Continuation of coverage at retirement or termination with at least 20 years of WRS service (eligibility requirements must be met). No longer required to pay premium when you turn 65 and are retired.
- Premiums may be waived if you become totally disabled.
State Group Life Insurance is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for coverage under the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS); and
- Under age 70 at the time of initial eligibility (if 70 or older when initially eligible, can only apply for coverage through Medical Evidence of Insurability); and
- Not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System annuity.
You have 30 days from your date of employment or your newly benefits-eligible job to enroll yourself and eligible family members in State Group Life Insurance (SGL). Your coverage will begin on the first day of the month following 30 days from your eligibility date.
If you do not enroll in SGL during your initial 30-day enrollment period, you may apply for coverage if you have a qualifying life event (see Life Events) or at any time through (acceptance not guaranteed).
For enrollment through a qualifying life event, coverage is effective on the first of the month following thirty (30) days after the date of event. Coverage through evidence of insurability is effective on the first of the month on or following the approval of your application by the plan’s underwriter.
Note: You may decrease or cancel coverage at any time during the year.
Select one to five units of employee coverage. Each unit of coverage is based on your annual salary, rounded to the nearest $1,000. Your coverage level will automatically increase if your salary increases and is adjusted annually.
Spouse/Domestic Partner & Dependent Coverage
Select one or two units of spouse/domestic partner & dependent coverage. Each unit insures your spouse or domestic partner for $10,000 and each dependent child for $5,000. All children will be covered under dependent coverage. You must enroll in Employee coverage in order to enroll in Spouse/Domestic Partner & Dependent coverage.
For detailed information regarding who you can cover on this plan, see the .
You are strongly encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. To designate a beneficiary(ies), complete theand submit it directly to the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF).
If there is no eligible beneficiary, or you do not name one, benefits will be paid in the following order:
- Your surviving spouse or domestic partner, otherwise;
- Your surviving children equally; if one of your children dies before you, that child’s share is divided between your deceased child’s children, otherwise;
- Your surviving grandchildren equally; if one of your grandchildren dies before you, that grandchild’s share is divided between your deceased grandchild’s children, otherwise;
- Your surviving parents equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving siblings equally; if one of your siblings dies before you, that sibling’s share is divided between your deceased sibling’s children, otherwise;
- Your estate.
All claims associated with a covered spouse, domestic partner or child will be paid to the employee.
Note: State Group Life (SGL) and the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) use the same Beneficiary Designation form. If you would like to have your beneficiary(ies) be the same for SGL and WRS, only one form is needed. If you would like to have your beneficiary(ies) be different for SGL and WRS, two forms are needed and the plan needs to be indicated on the form.
For more information, see Beneficiary.
For State Group Life Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
Forms & Resources
- Continuation Form – Contact your human resources office if you need a continuation form. (Continuation at retirement is automatic)
last updated: 12/9/16