The Wisconsin Deferred Compensation Program (WDC) 457 Program is a supplemental retirement savings plan, regulated by Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code. Through the WDC program employees can invest a portion of their income for retirement either on a pre-tax or post-tax (Roth) basis or a combination of both. Participation in the program is voluntary; employees make the entire contribution. There is no employer match.
The WDC program is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) through a third-party administrator, Empower (Empower Retirement).
Learn more about the WDC Program at: www.wdc457.org.
All UW System employees (including graduate assistants, rehired annuitants, student hourly), are eligible to participate. Some positions funded by scholarships or fellowships are not eligible.
Eligible employees can enroll at any time.
Enroll and set up your contribution election directly with WDC. Eligible employees can enroll online or over the phone with the.
For questions, contact WDC directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 457-9327.
You can change your contribution at any time. To change your contribution to the Plan:
- Log into your account at www.wdc457.org
- Use the slider bars to model how different contribution changes will affect your take-home pay and retirement savings
- Click on Review change(s)
- Click on Submit your change(s)
- Contact WDC at (877) 457-9327
Consider saving a percent of your salary instead of a flat dollar amount. When you contribute a percent of your pay, the amount you contribute increases automatically if you have a change to your pay. It also helps keep you on track to replacing your working income in retirement. You can contribute a percent of your pay or a flat dollar amount to your account.
Federal tax code limits the amount of money that employees can be contributed to the WDC on an annual basis.
2022 contribution limits
- If under age 50: $20,500
- If age 50 or older at any time during the year: $27,000 ($20,500 + $6,500 catch-up provision)
2023 contribution limits
- If under age 50: $22,500
- If age 50 or older at any time during the year: $30,000 ($22,500 + $7,500 catch-up provision)
Employees within the 3 years before attainment of normal retirement age (typically age 65), may be eligible to use the Special Catch-Up Contribution provision, which could be as much as twice the basic amount. Employees may not contribute to both the Special Catch-Up and the Age 50+ Catch-Up options in the same calendar year, even if eligible for both. Catch-up contribution limits are calculated based on how much was under-contributed in prior years. Contact WDC to determine if you are eligible. Employees are responsible for monitoring contributions to ensure that they stay within the annual limits.
Employees can make the maximum contributions under both the WDC Program and the UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP).
WDC offers a wide range of investment options to meet. The investment options are divided into 4 tiers:
- Lifecycle Funds
- Passive Index Funds
- Actively Managed Funds
- Self-Directed Brokerage Account
Go to www.wdc457.org for a full list of available investment options.
You are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. Whenever you have a life event, review and update your beneficiary designations. Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
For more information on beneficiary designations, see the Beneficiary Information web page.
WDC program fees are based on account balance as follows:
As of January 1, 2022:
|Account Balance||Monthly / Annual Fee|
|$1-$5,000||$0 / $0|
|$5,001 – $25,000||$0.75 / $9|
|$25,001 – $50,000||$2.00 / $24|
|$50,001 – $100,000||$4.25 / $51|
|$100,001 – $150,000||$5.50 / $66|
|$150,001 – $250,000||$7.75 / $93|
|over $250,000||$11.50 / $138|
Forms & Resources
WDC accounts can be managed online or over the phone.
- Online: www.wdc457.org
- After logging into your WDC account, you may:
- Submit or change your beneficiary
- Enroll in Special Catch-up provision
- Consolidate accounts
- Update your account information, such as address, username, and password
- After logging into your WDC account, you may:
- By Phone:
- WDC representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7 am and 9 pm, and Saturday between 8 am and 4 pm at (877) 457-9327. Press 0 and follow the prompts to speak to a representative.
- For local assistance in Madison, answer ‘yes’ to the prompts Monday through Friday between 8 am and 4:30 pm.
Review the Terms and Conditions.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.