Contact your human resources office.
The University Insurance Association (UIA) Life Insurance plan offers decreasing term life insurance to eligible Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees. Coverage levels range from $3,400 – $101,000 depending on the employee’s age. This life insurance plan covers the employee only; there is no coverage available for family members.
Coverage is mandatory if you meet the eligibility requirements.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of your death, this plan provides the following benefits:
- If you are terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, you may receive up to the full amount of your coverage prior to your death.
- of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment or ineligibility. Continuation of group policy coverage when terminating employment for either a WRS retirement or disability as outlined in the UIA Plan Certificate.
UIA Board Upcoming Meetings
UIA Annual Meeting
Date: Friday, May 5, 2017
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: 780 Regent Street, Madison, WI 53715 — Room 123
The University Insurance Association Life Insurance Plan (Group Policy #32872-G) is administered by the University Insurance Association Board and is underwritten by Security Financial Group.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Have a Faculty, Academic Staff, or Limited appointment; and
- Meet the minimum monthly salary threshold ($2,592 for the 2016-2017 plan year, effective 10/1/16); and
- Are not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) annuity.
These requirements must be met as of October 1st of each year to be eligible.
If you meet the eligibility criteria for a given year, enrollment is automatic and no application is required.
Coverage is effective October 1st, provided requirements are met and premium is paid.
If employment starts after October 1st, you must wait until the following year for enrollment.
Premium & Coverage Levels
The annual premium for the University Insurance Association life insurance plan is $24.00 and is deducted from your October earnings.
Eligible employees on a leave of absence will be billed for the annual premium of $24.00 by the UW Service Center. Payment must be received by December 1st of the current year or coverage will end as of September 30th of current year with no option of conversion.
The coverage level is based on the employee’s age as of October 1st of the current year.
|Age as of
|Coverage Level||Age as of
You are strongly encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. To designate a beneficiary(ies), complete theand submit it directly to Securian.
If there is no eligible beneficiary, or you do not name one, benefits will be paid in the following order:
- Your surviving spouse or domestic partner, otherwise;
- Your surviving children equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving grandchildren equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving parents equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving siblings equally, otherwise;
- Your estate.
For more information, see Beneficiary.
Forms & Resources
- Continuation Form – Contact your human resources if you need a continuation form.
last updated: 12/9/2016