Eligible employees are granted 36 hours (4.5 days) of personal holiday hours per year (pro-rated if part-time).
All eligible employees are granted personal holiday at hire and at the start of the calender year for University Staff employees and the start of the fiscal year (July 1st) for Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees.
All employees who earn sick leave are granted personal holiday except:
- Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees on an academic year (nine-month) contract; and
Personal holiday can be used from the first day of employment. Use of personal holiday, like all other paid leave, must be approved by your supervisor.
Personal holiday hours must be used by the end of the year in which they are earned or they will be lost.
- University Staff employees must use personal holiday hours by the end of the calendar year (December 31).
- Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees must use personal holiday hours by the end of the fiscal year (June 30).
Termination of Employment
At termination of employment, any remaining personal holiday hours can be:
- Paid out as a lump sum on your final check, or
- Used to extend your time on payroll with supervisor approval