The Catastrophic Leave Program allows the continuation of salary and benefits for an eligible employee who has a catastrophic need and has exhausted all paid leave. It allows employees to donate earned paid leave credits (except for sick leave or compensatory time) to employees who have a catastrophic need at their own or at a different UW institution.
“Catastrophic need” means a significant financial hardship that is due to an illness, medical condition or injury that incapacitates or is expected to incapacitate an employee or an employee’s family member that requires the employee to take unpaid time off from work for an extended period of time, as defined by the UW institution.
The program relies on the donation of unused vacation, banked leave/ALRA or personal/floating holidays by the employee’s co-workers.
How to Apply for Catastrophic Leave
- Review UPS Operational Policy BN5: Catastrophic Leave Program.
- Review the Employee Catastrophic Leave Request (UWS 420) form.
- Determine how many hours of catastrophic leave are needed with the assistance of your human resources office.
- Complete the Employee Request for Catastrophic Leave form and submit it to your human resources office. Your human resources office may request medical certification.
How to Donate Time to Catastrophic Leave
- Review UW System Administrative Policy 1214: Catastrophic Leave Program to determine if you are eligible to donate leave.
- Complete the Donor Authorization of Catastrophic Leave (UWS 422) form and submit it to your human resources office.
Forms & Resources
- UW System Administrative Policy 1214: Catastrophic Leave Program
- Employee Catastrophic Leave Request (UWS 420)
- Donor Authorization of Catastrophic Leave (UWS 422)
last updated: 12/9/2016
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.