What is a beneficiary?
A beneficiary is the person or entity named in a life insurance policy, retirement plan or health savings account to receive the benefit upon death. The beneficiary designation on file at the time of death is binding in the payment of your benefits.
Whenever an employee has a life event, such as a marriage, divorce, birth of a child, beneficiary designations should be reviewed and updated. Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
Beneficiary designation forms can be found below. Completed forms should be sent directly to the benefit plan vendor, not to the human resources office. The appropriate address can be found on each beneficiary designation form.
Retain a copy of the beneficiary designation forms for your records (the UW System does not process or retain the forms). Questions about beneficiary designations should be directed to the plan administrator for each plan.
If a beneficiary is not designated, benefits will be paid according to Wisconsin law. This is called Standard Sequence and will pay to beneficiaries as follows:
- Employee’s surviving spouse, otherwise;
- Employee’s surviving children equally, otherwise;
- Employee’s surviving grandchildren equally, otherwise;
- Employee’s surviving parents equally, otherwise;
- Employee’s surviving siblings equally, otherwise;
- Employee’s estate.
Note: All claims associated with the death of a covered family member will be paid to the employee.
Benefit plans with benefits payable to beneficiaries
The WRS is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF). State Group Life Insurance is administered by the ETF and underwritten by Securian Financial Group. WRS and State Group Life Insurance share the same beneficiary designations; however, employees have the option to complete one of two forms.
- allows you to name primary, secondary and tertiary beneficiaries.
- allows you to name primary and secondary beneficiaries as well as successors to those beneficiaries.
- Mail completed form to: Department of Employee Trust Funds, P.O. Box 7931, Madison, WI 53707-7931.
If you prefer to name different beneficiaries for these two benefit plans, you must complete a separate beneficiary designation form for each benefit plan and specify which plan it applies to at the bottom of the form.
State Group Life Insurance Policy Number: 2832-G
Administered by The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin and underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Mail completed form to: University of Wisconsin System Human Resources, 780 Regent Street, Suite 224, Madison, WI 53715
Group Policy Number: 32871-G
Administered by University of Wisconsin Employees Inc., an employee-directed nonprofit corporation, and underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Once you enroll in coverage, Securian will send you login information so you can name your beneficiary online through the secure LifeBenefits portal OR
- Mail paper form to: Minnesota Life Insurance Company (a Securian Company), Group Administration Department, 400 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55101-2098 or fax to (651) 665-4827
Group Policy Number: 33977-G
Administered by University Insurance Association Board and underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Mail completed form to: Minnesota Life Insurance Company (a Securian Company), P.O. Box 259708, Madison, WI 53725-9708 or fax to (608) 277-8665
Group Policy Number: 32872-G
Administered by The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin and underwritten by Zurich American Insurance Company.
- *Mail completed form to: University of Wisconsin System Human Resources, 780 Regent Street, Suite 224, Madison, WI 53715
Group Policy Number: GTU 8364005
*For annuitants who continued their AD&D coverage after retirement, mail the completed beneficiary form to: Hausmann-Johnson Insurance, P.O. Box 259408, Madison, WI 53725-9408
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Administered by TASC.
- Beneficiary Designation Form
- Mail completed form to: TASC, P.O. Box 7511, Madison, WI 53707-7511 or fax to (877) 231-1287
UW Tax-Sheltered AnnuitY (TSA) 403(b) Program
The UW Tax-Sheltered Annuity (TSA) 403(b) Program is administered by UW System Human Resources. Contact the TSA provider to obtain a beneficiary designation form.
Fidelity, T. Rowe Price and TIAA participants can update beneficiary designations through their online account.
Current Provider Contact Information:
- Fidelity Investments | (800) 343-0860
- T. Rowe Price | (800) 922-9945
- TIAA | (800) 842-2776
- Ameriprise/RiverSource Life Insurance Company | (608) 819-0500
- Lincoln National Life Insurance Company | (800) 967-2046
Frozen Provider Contact Information:
- AUL (OneAmerica) | (800) 249-6269
- Dreyfus Retirement Services | (800) 645-6561
- DWS (Scudder) ADP | (800) 541-7705
- Security Benefit Life | (800) 888-2461
- Wells Fargo (Strong) | (800) 222-8222
The Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) program is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) through a third-party administrator, Empower Retirement.
- Once enrolled, a password is mailed to the address on file. Use your social security number (username) and this password to access your account online at www.wdc457.org. Beneficiaries may be updated online.
- – You can also mail a paper designation form directly to Empower Retirement, P.O. Box 173764, Denver, CO 80217-3764 or fax to (866) 745-5766.
- Wisconsin Deferred Compensation at (877) 457-9327
last updated: 1/2/2019
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.