What is a beneficiary?
A beneficiary is the person or entity you name in a life insurance policy or retirement plan to receive the benefit upon your death. The beneficiary designation on file at the time of your death is binding in the payment of your benefits.
Whenever there is a big life event, such as when you get married, divorced, have a child or a grandchild joins the family, you may want to review your beneficiary designations and update them if you wish. You can change your beneficiary at any time, in accordance with the plan requirements.
Beneficiary designation forms can be found below. Completed forms should be sent directly to the benefit plan vendor, not to your human resources office. The appropriate address can be found below and on each beneficiary designation form.
Please retain a copy of your beneficiary designation forms for your records. The UW System does not process or store the beneficiary designation forms. Please contact the plan administrator directly for questions about your beneficiary designations.
If you don’t designate a beneficiary, your benefit will be paid out according to Wisconsin law. This is called Standard Sequence and will pay to beneficiaries as follows*:
- Your surviving spouse, otherwise;
- Your surviving children equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving grandchildren equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving parents equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving siblings equally, otherwise;
- Your estate.
Note: All claims associated with the death of a covered family member will be paid to the employee.
*Note: If you wish to name a domestic partner as a beneficiary, you should complete the applicable beneficiary designation form(s).
Benefit plans with benefits that are payable to beneficiaries
The WRS is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF). State Group Life Insurance is administered by the ETF and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
WRS and State Group Life Insurance share the same beneficiary designations.
- The allows you to name primary, secondary, and tertiary beneficiaries.
- The allows you to name primary and secondary beneficiaries. You can also name specific successors to those beneficiaries.
- Mail completed form to: Department of Employee Trust Funds, P.O. Box 7931, Madison, WI 53707-7931.
If you prefer to name different beneficiaries for these two benefit plans, you must complete a separate beneficiary designation form for each benefit plan. At the bottom of the beneficiary designation form, there is a line where you can specify the benefit plan.
State Group Life Insurance Policy Number: 2832-G
Administered by The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin and underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Mail completed form to: University of Wisconsin System Human Resources, 780 Regent Street, Suite 224, Madison, WI 53715
Group Policy Number: 32871-G
Administered by University of Wisconsin Employees Inc., an employee-directed nonprofit corporation, and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Once you enroll in coverage, Securian will send you login information so you can name your beneficiary(ies) online through their secure LifeBenefits portal.
- – You can also mail a paper designation form directly to Minnesota Life Insurance Company (a Securian Company), Group Administration Department, 400 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55101-2098 or fax to (651) 665-4827
Group Policy Number: 33977-G
Administered by University Insurance Association Board and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
- Mail completed form to: Minnesota Life Insurance Company (a Securian Company), P.O. Box 259708, Madison, WI 53725-9708 or fax to (608) 277-8665
Group Policy Number: 32872-G
Administered by The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin and underwritten by Zurich American Insurance Company.
- *Mail completed form to: University of Wisconsin System Human Resources, 780 Regent Street, Suite 224, Madison, WI 53715
Group Policy Number: GTU 8364005
*If you are an annuitant who continued your AD&D coverage after retirement, mail your completed beneficiary form directly to Hausmann-Johnson at: Hausmann-Johnson Insurance – Office of the Comptroller, P.O. Box 259408, Madison, WI 53725-9408
Administered by EPIC Specialty Benefits.
- Mail completed form to: The EPIC Life Insurance Company, Attention: Life & Disability Department, P.O. Box 8430, Madison, WI 53708-8430 or fax to (800) 236-7610
Group Policy Number: 318000
The Tax-Sheltered Annuity (TSA) Program is administered by UW System Human Resources.
Contact the TSA provider to obtain a beneficiary designation form.
Fidelity, T. Rowe Price and TIAA participants can update beneficiary designations through their online investment account.
Current Provider Contact Information:
- Ameriprise/RiverSource Life Insurance Company | (608) 819-0500
- Fidelity Investments | (800) 343-0860
- Lincoln National Life Insurance Company | (800) 967-2046
- TIAA | (800) 842-2776
- T. Rowe Price | (800) 922-9945
Frozen Provider Contact Information:
- AUL (OneAmerica) | (800) 249-6269
- Dreyfus Retirement Services | (800) 645-6561
- DWS (Scudder) ADP | (800) 541-7705
- Security Benefit Life | (800) 888-2461
- Wells Fargo (Strong) | (800) 222-8222
The Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) program is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) through a third-party administrator, Empower Retirement.
- Once enrolled, a password is mailed to the address on file. You can use your social security number (username) and this password to access your account information online at www.wdc457.org. In addition, you may update your beneficiary(ies) online.
- – You can also mail a paper designation form directly to Empower Retirement, P.O. Box 173764, Denver, CO 80217-3764 or fax to (866) 745-5766.
- Wisconsin Deferred Compensation at (877) 457-9327
Health Savings Account (HSA)
Administered by TASC.
- Beneficiary Designation Form
- Mail completed form to: TASC, P.O. Box 7511, Madison, WI 53707-7511 or fax to (877) 231-1287
last updated: 4/2/2018
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.