Are you thinking of retiring?
You are eligible to apply for a retirement annuity from the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) once you meet the following requirements:
- You are at least 55 years old (at least 50 if covered by the Protective WRS category); and
- You are vested* in the WRS; and
- You end all WRS-covered employment.
*You are vested if:
- You have any WRS creditable service prior to July 1, 2011; or
- You have at least 5 years of WRS creditable service if you were first covered by the WRS on July 1, 2011 or later.
Preparing for Retirement
There are several resources you should review before you decide to retire:
- – see what steps you need to take to prepare for retirement
- – outlines what happens to your benefits in retirement
- Estimate the value of your sick leave credits in retirement by using the Sick Leave Credit Estimator
- Estimate your retirement annuity using one of ETF’s online calculators
- Estimate your Social Security benefits using the Social Security Administration’s online calculator
Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.