If you move from a Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointment to a University Staff position, your benefits and leave accruals will change. Review thefor details about all benefits and leave available to you.
University Staff employee are:
- Accumulate leave benefits on a calendar year basis. Review Leave Benefits – University Staff for more information.
- Credited WRS contributions and service on a calendar year basis.
Visit the Forms & Resources web page for all plan applications, forms, and brochures.
The following plans are not affected by your appointment change and will continue automatically:
- State Group Health Insurance
- Uniform, Preventive and/or Supplemental Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- State Group Life Insurance
- Individual & Family Life Insurance
- UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP)
- Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) 457 Program
The plans listed below may be affected by your change in appointment:
You are no longer eligible for this insurance plan as of the end of the plan year (December 31st following your movement to University Staff), provided premiums are paid.
You must complete an application within 30 days of your appointment change to continue or to enroll in coverage. You must select an elimination period. Your premiums are based on your eligible earnings and elimination period elected.
If you do not enroll within 30 days of your appointment change you may have an opportunity to enroll at a later date through a deferred enrollment or you may enroll through evidence of insurability. See the Income Continuation Insurance web page for details.
WRS contributions and creditable service for University Staff employees are reported on a calendar-year basis, as opposed to a fiscal-year basis.
To receive one year of WRS creditable service, University Staff employees must work 1,904 hours in a calendar year.
WRS contributions are based on a percentage of your eligible earnings. If your eligible earnings change, the amount of your WRS contribution will also change.
Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.