If you move from a University Staff position to a Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointment, your benefits and leave accruals will change. Review thefor details about all benefits and leave available to you.
Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointee are:
- Paid every other Thursday for the prior two week period. Review the Payroll web page for more information.
- Accumulate leave benefits on a fiscal year basis. Review Leave Benefits – Faculty, Academic Staff, and Limited Appointees for more information.
- Credited WRS contributions and service on a fiscal year basis.
Visit the Forms & Resources web page for all plan applications, forms and brochures.
The following plans are not affected by your appointment change and will continue automatically:
- State Group Health Insurance
- Uniform, Preventive and/or Supplemental Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- State Group Life Insurance
- Individual & Family Life Insurance
- UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- UW 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Program (SRP)
- Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC) 457 Program
The plans listed below may be affected by your change in appointment.
You must complete an application within 30 days of your appointment change to continue or to enroll in coverage. You must select an elimination period. Your premiums are based on your eligible earnings and elimination period elected.
If you do not enroll within 30 days of your appointment change you may have an enrollment opportunity to enroll at a later date through a deferred enrollment or you may enroll through evidence of insurability. See the Income Continuation Insurance web page for details.
WRS contributions and creditable service for Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited appointees are reported on a fiscal-year basis, as opposed to a calendar-year basis.
To receive one year of WRS creditable service, Faculty, Academic Staff or Limited appointees must work 1,320 hours in a fiscal year. Executives must work 1,904 hours in a fiscal year. Executives are employees that hold the highest level positions (for example: president, vice president, chancellor).
WRS contributions are based on a percentage of your eligible earnings. If your eligible earnings changes, the amount of your WRS contribution will also change.
Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.