If you become eligible for the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) Benefit Package, you are required to participate in the WRS.
Move from Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Academic Staff Benefit Package to the WRS Benefit Package:
If you are eligible for benefits under the Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Academic Staff Benefit program and are now eligible for the WRS Benefit Package, you:
- May enroll in all benefit plans except the Flexible Spending Accounts (unless you were not previously eligible).
- Most of the benefit plans you are already enrolled in will continue automatically, depending on your employment category (except health insurance—see below*).
- Applications for benefit plans in which you wish to enroll in must be received within 30 days of becoming eligible for the WRS Benefit Package.
*If you are currently enrolled in health insurance under the Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Academic Staff Benefit Package, you must submit a new health insurance application to retain health insurance within 30 days of becoming eligible for the WRS Benefit Package.** Your monthly premium contribution will increase.
- Your health insurance coverage under the Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Academic Staff Benefit Package will end at the end of the month in which your Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Benefit Package-eligible position ends. This is immediately prior to your WRS-eligibility begin date.
- You will receive a continuation notice from UW-Shared Services, Service Operations for the health insurance coverage ending under the Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Academic Staff Benefit Package. Contact UW-Shared Services, Service Operations at email@example.com or (888) 298-0141 if you do not receive one.
**If you move from an appointment eligible for the Graduate Assistant / Short-Term Benefit Package to a University Staff appointment eligible for the WRS Benefit Package and have no eligible prior WRS service, you must complete 2 months of WRS service before becoming eligible for the Employer contribution toward health insurance.
See General Employee Information for benefit enrollment opportunities you have under the WRS.
Visit the Forms & Resources Page for all plan applications, forms, and brochures.
Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.