If you or your dependents lose comparable coverage elsewhere (such as through a spouse’s plan), you may have opportunities to enroll in the following plans with the UW System.

You must submit an application to enroll within 30 days of the loss of other coverage, or within 30 days of the notice of loss of coverage, whichever is later. Note: This does not include voluntary cancellation of the other coverage.

Review the information below for details specific to each plan. Visit the Forms & Resources web page for plan applications, forms, and brochures.

  • You may enroll if you and/or your dependent(s) lose coverage elsewhere
  • You may add the dependent(s) that have lost coverage elsewhere if you are already enrolled (even if this changes your coverage level)

Coverage is effective the day following the date you and/or your dependent(s) lost other coverage. For example, if your other coverage ends March 13th, coverage under the plans above would begin March 14th.

You must provide documentation stating that you and/or your dependent(s) lost eligibility for coverage and the date that the other coverage ended. Review the Life Change Events and Documentation Requirements (ET-2846) for information on documentation required to confirm eligibility.

Health Care FSA | Limited Purpose FSA

  • You may enroll in or increase your contributions if eligibility under another employer health plan is lost.
  • You cannot cancel or decrease your contributions.

Dependent Day Care FSA

  • You may enroll in or increase your contributions if your spouse or domestic partner loses eligibility for Dependent Day Care FSA through their employer.
  • You may decrease or stop your contributions if your spouse or domestic partner will be staying at home to care for your qualified dependent(s).

Changes are effective the first of the month on or following receipt of your Change of Election form.

Employees are required to re-enroll in the FSAs every year during the Annual Benefits Enrollment period to participate. Elections will not automatically continue into the next plan year.

If not currently enrolled: Enrollment in the HSA is required if you are eligible for and enroll in the HDHP or Access HDHP. You must be eligible for both, the HDHP and the HSA.

If currently enrolled: You can change your per paycheck contribution amount at any time up to the annual maximum limit. The change will be effective as soon as administratively possible.

Beneficiary Designations

Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.

For more information review the Beneficiary Information web page.

Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.

Updated: 09/24/2021