If you or your dependents gain eligibility for coverage elsewhere (such as through a spouse’s plan), you may have opportunities to make changes to your benefit plans with the UW System.

You must submit an application to make changes within 30 days of the date the other coverage is effective.

Review the information below for details specific to each plan. Visit the Forms & Resources web page for plan applications, forms, and brochures.

  • You may remove a dependent who has enrolled in coverage elsewhere
  • You may change from limited family or family coverage to single coverage if all of your dependent(s) have enrolled in coverage elsewhere
  • You may cancel your coverage for yourself and all dependents if you have enrolled in coverage elsewhere

Changes are effective the first of the month on or following receipt of the application.

You will need to provide proof of enrollment in other coverage that shows the effective date. Review the Life Change Events and Documentation Requirements (ET-2846) for information on documentation required to confirm eligibility.

Health Care FSA | Limited Purpose FSA

  • You may decrease or stop your contributions if your spouse or dependent gains eligibility and enrolls in their employer’s FSA.
  • You cannot enroll in or increase your FSA contributions.

Dependent Day Care

  • You may enroll in or increase your Dependent Day Care contributions to reflect the new eligibility of your dependent (if your spouse previously did not work)
  • You may decrease or stop your Dependent Day Care contributions for a dependent who is added to spouse’s plan

Changes are effective the first of the month on or following receipt of your Change of Election form.

Employees are required to re-enroll in FSAs every year during the Annual Benefits Enrollment period to participate. Elections will not automatically continue into the next plan year.

If currently enrolled in the HSA and are cancelling State Group Health Insurance (HDHP or Access HDHP): Your enrollment in the HSA will end at the same time your health insurance coverage ends. Your HSA will remain open and you may continue to use the funds in your account for qualifying expenses. However, you will no longer be able to make pre-tax contributions from your paycheck. If you currently receive an employer contribution to your HSA, these contributions will stop. 

If removing dependents: You can change your contribution amount at any time up to the annual maximum limit. The change will be effective as soon as administratively possible.

Check with your tax advisor to make sure you do not exceed the maximum HSA contribution limit for the year. The contribution limit varies based on coverage level (e.g. Single vs Family), age (e.g. Less than 55 vs Greater than 55) and the number of months you are eligible for the HSA during the calendar year.

Beneficiary Designations

Remember to review and update your beneficiary designations when you have a life event to make sure that your benefits are paid according to your wishes. Benefit plans that have beneficiary designations include life insurance plans, retirement plans and the health savings account.

For more information review the Beneficiary Information web page.

Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.

Updated: 09/24/2021