Individual & Family Group Life Insurance (I&F) offers term life insurance to employees and their spouse or domestic partner and eligible children. An employee may initially select up to $20,000 of employee coverage, $10,000 of spouse or domestic partner coverage, and $5,000 of child(ren) coverage. There is an annual opportunity to increase coverage.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of a death, this plan provides the following benefits:
- An annual opportunity to increase coverage level.
- If an employee is terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, they may receive up to the full amount of their coverage prior to your death. This living benefit is also available for an insured spouse/domestic partner or child.
- Conversion to an individual policy at the end of employment.
- Premiums may be waived to age 65 should the employee become totally disabled prior to turning age 60.
- Access to the Lifestyle Benefit Program through Securian Financial which offers legal, financial and grief resources, travel assistance, legacy planning resources and beneficiary financial counseling to all active, State of Wisconsin employees. This program is offered free of charge and no enrollment is required. Click here for more information.
Individual & Family Group Life Insurance (Group Policy #32871-G) is administered by University of Wisconsin System Administration and underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
Employees must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for State Group Health Insurance; and
- Are not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) annuity.
Note: If an employee and their spouse/domestic partner are both eligible for this plan as UW System employees, the employee and their spouse/domestic partner may only be covered as an employee or a dependent – not both. This rule also applies to eligible children who are also eligible for this plan as an employee.
Employees have 30 days from date of employment or the employee’s newly benefits-eligible job to enroll yourself and eligible family members in Individual & Family Group Life Insurance (I&F). Coverage will begin on the first of the month following 30 days from eligibility date.
For information regarding who employee’s can cover on this plan, see the . Note that there are three (3) different levels of coverage: Employee, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Child(ren).
If an employee does not enroll in Individual & Family Life Insurance during their initial 30-day enrollment period, they may apply for coverage at any time through Evidence of Insurability (acceptance not guaranteed). The Evidence of Insurability form can be accessed in the Forms & Resources section below. Coverage through evidence of insurability is effective on the first of the month on or following approval of the employee’s application by the plan’s underwriter.
If an employee was initially eligible for coverage when they were not covered by the WRS, they will receive a new opportunity to enroll within 30 days of their WRS coverage begin date.
If an employee did not enroll eligible family members during their initial 30-day enrollment period, they may add spouse/domestic partner and/or child(ren) coverage if they have a qualifying life event. See Life Events for more information.
Note: Employees may decrease or cancel coverage at any time during the year.
|Coverage Type||Initial Enrollment
|Maximum Coverage Level|
$15,000 or $20,000
|Spouse / Domestic Partner||$5,000 or $10,000||$150,000|
|Child(ren)||$2,500 or $5,000||$25,000|
|Note: The amount of Spouse/DP and Child(ren) coverage may never exceed the amount of employee coverage in effect.
Employees must enroll in Employee coverage in order to enroll in Spouse/Domestic Partner and/or Child coverage.
Employees are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to their wishes. Whenever an employee has a life event, such as a marriage, divorce, birth of a child, beneficiary designations should be reviewed and updated. Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
For more information on beneficiary designations, see the Beneficiary Information page.
For Individual & Family Life Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
Forms & Resources
- Conversion Form – Contact the UW Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) 298-0141 (7:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday) to obtain a conversion form.
last updated: 12/9/2016
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.