When is a Receipt Required for Reimbursement?

Travelers are advised to retain copies of all business travel receipts for personal tax filing purposes. For University reimbursement processing, the receipt requirements are listed below.

Any Expense Regardless of Amount:

  • Airline Tickets (must be agency invoice – the itinerary does not serve as a receipt)
  • Airline Penalty Fees (Change/Cancel)
  • Rail Tickets/Passes
  • Travel or Tour Company Service Fees
  • Registration Fees
  • Lodging
  • Vehicle Rentals (original rental agreement and receipt)
  • Vehicle Rental Gas
  • Hospitality/Hosted meals
  • Visas for International Travel
  • Vaccines/Inoculations for International Travel
  • Foreign Transaction Fees on Corporate Cards
  • Relocation –  Moving Company/U-Haul
  • Non-travel related expenses

Expenses Over $25

  • Parking
  • Bus Tickets/Passes (each way)
  • Taxis/Shuttles/Car Services (each way)
  • Subway Passes (each way)
  • Business Use of Internet Access
  • Tolls

Expenses Over $30

  • Airline Baggage

No Receipts Required

  • Meals & Incidental (M&IE) Per Diem Allowance
  • Day Trip Meal Allowance
  • Relocation Stipends

Requirements for a Valid Receipt

An original receipt is a written acknowledgement that the vendor has been paid for providing goods or services.  To be considered original it must show:

  • The name & address of the vendor providing the goods or services
  • The date that the specific services were received or items were purchased
  • Itemization of the services and/or goods and pricing
  • Final amount due and evidence that it was paid

Original, itemized receipts are required based upon the expense types and dollar limits listed below.  Credit card statements alone do not meet the receipting requirements. Scanned receipts are accepted as originals providing they meet the same requirements for paper receipts. Keep in mind that if you’re planning to scan your receipts or other required documentation, the scan must be clear, legible and saved in a format that allows opening and printing.

Considerations for International Receipts


Some extremely remote destinations may not be able to provide a printed receipt. In these events, the receipt may either be be hand written or come from an institution supplied receipt book. These receipts must include:

  • The name & (approximate) address of the vendor providing the goods or services
  • The date that the specific services were received or items were purchased
  • Itemization of the services and/or goods and pricing
  • Final amount due and evidence that it was paid (i.e. vendor signature)


Receipts and/or other supporting documentation in foreign currency must be converted to U.S. dollars for documentation purposes. Documentation and receipts in foreign language must be translated prior to submitting. Google Translate is the standard for completing this requirement.

Currency Exchange 

Internationally incurred expenses paid and receipted in foreign currency must be submitted for payment or reimbursement in U.S. dollars using the exchange rate in effect on the date of payment. Include documentation indicating what exchange rate was used to make the conversions (i.e. credit card statement, bank receipt etc.). For cash conversions, currency exchange rates can be found at OANDA , the University’s standard application for conversion. When converting cash, choose the +/- 0 (zero) interbank rate for the conversion. If purchases were made via credit card, use the exchange rate provided on the credit card statement.