The University of Wisconsin System strives to follow sustainable principles, practices and values.
Here are some tips to help you travel sustainably:
- Consider if the trip is essential, or if the trip can be done virtually. Limiting unneccesary trips is the best way to eliminate the carbon footprint that you leave.
- While typically airfare is the most logical method of transportation for a route over 400 miles – if your schedule allows, consider using rail. Rail generally is the most cost-effective as well as a more carbon-friendly option.
- If driving, choose an electronic vehicle, hybrid, or small model car that can significantly cut down carbon emissions. Our contracted partner, Enterprise, offers these vehicles for rental.
- When possible, walk or bike instead of using a cab. Utilize rideshare with other passengers.
- Use Public Transportation such as a bus or train.
- Pitch the plastics! Instead of spending money on bottles of water and straws, bring reusable ones. Nearly every airport and hotel have free water stations for you to fill up quickly.
- Eat plant-based foods and avoid dairy products when possible. According to the EPA, agriculture accounts for 10 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, skipping meat has a massive positive impact on sustainability.
- Buy local and fair-trade items when possible and bring a reusable bag for your shopping trips.
- Learn more about the UW’s Sustainability Goals
Airline Sustainability Goals
Key Steps towards Sustainability:
- Over 200 aircraft retired early
- 6% better fuel efficiency year-over-year from new, more efficient fleet
- Verified carbon offsets to mitigate 13 million metric tons of Delta’s 2020 emissions
- Investing in Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) which can reduce emissions by up to 80%
Carbon Neutral from March 2020 OnwardDelta’s commitment to sustainability is about joining arms to create a better world. The airline’s ambitious commitment to carbon neutrality from March 2020 onward is coming to fruition with swift impact through immediate actions, coupled with long-term investments to combat climate change. These investments will drive innovation, advance clean air travel technologies, accelerate the reduction of carbon emissions and waste, and establish a path to a more sustainable future.
As a company driven by purpose, we hold ourselves to a high standard of producing sustainable, responsible financial results while investing in healthy communities, maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce, and protecting natural environments. These values drive our overall approach to Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) sustainability and responsibility. Learn more about how we measured against this purpose while facing a global pandemic and the most dire financial situation in the history of our airline.
An Ambitious Path Forward
BUILDING A MORE EFFICIENT FLEET
REDUCING EMISSIONS THROUGH CARBON OFFSETS
Improving Our Environment by Reducing Our Impact