Travel to the Conference
- In cases of conference travel, arrival on the day prior to a morning start time for the event is acceptable.
- When the business or conference is concluded early enough in the day to allow the traveler to return to their home at a reasonable hour (i.e. by 10:00 p.m.), it is expected that the traveler will return from travel when business concludes.
- When pre or post conference business is scheduled, the traveler must include the business purpose and any other required documentation on the expense report to justify any different arrival or departure times that vary from the original business travel dates.
- Lodging reservations for externally hosted conference may be made either directly with the designated conference hotel using the conference’s designated rate, with the University’s contracted travel agency, or in the online booking tool.
- When the traveler elects to book and stay at the conference designated hotel, the traveler will be reimbursed the actual cost for staying at a conference-site or designated hotel(s), even when the nightly rate exceeds the location maximum. Include the conference documentation in your expense report as justification if the rate exceeds the nightly maximum.
- If the traveler opts to stay at a non-conference designated hotel, the rate maximum then applies and travelers will not be reimbursed above the rate maximum. Use the rate calculator to determine the rate maximum.