Conference Travel is the most common type of travel at the University of Wisconsin System.
Details about how to travel within University Policies is outlined below. If you have further questions, reach out to your campus travel manager.
Travel to the Conference/Airfare
- Airfare must be booked either in Concur or with a Travel Incorporated Consultant.
- In cases of conference travel, arrival on the day prior to a morning start time for the event is acceptable.
- When the business or conference is concluded early enough in the day to allow the traveler to return to their home at a reasonable hour (i.e. by 10:00 p.m.), it is expected that the traveler will return from travel when business concludes.
- When pre or post conference business is scheduled, the traveler must include the business purpose and any other required documentation on the expense report to justify any different arrival or departure times that vary from the original business travel dates.
- Lodging reservations for externally hosted conference may be made either directly with the designated conference hotel using the conference’s designated rate, with the University’s contracted travel agency, or in the online booking tool.
- Per UW Policy 415, When the traveler elects to book and stay at the conference designated hotel, the traveler will be reimbursed the actual cost for staying at a conference-site or designated hotel(s), even when the nightly rate exceeds the location maximum. Include the conference documentation in your expense report as justification if the rate exceeds the nightly maximum.
- If the traveler opts to stay at a non-conference designated hotel, the rate maximum then applies and travelers will not be reimbursed above the rate maximum. Use the rate calculator to determine the rate maximum.
- Prior to travel, discuss anticipated expenses with your supervisor or departmental business contact to ensure budgetary compliance.
- If additional days of travel are added before or after conference, ensure that a cost comparison from Concur is included to prove that the University did not incur any additional expenses.
Documentation Requirement (attach to the Expense Report)
|Any Expenses for Conference Travel||Conference Agenda (including provided meals), Program or other Supporting Documents as provided by the Conference Organizers|
|Meal Per Diem
||Rental Car Receipt|
|Gas for Rental Car||Receipt from Gas Station|
|Airfare||Invoice from Designated Agency (Travel Incorporated, Fox World Travel or Shorts Travel)|
|Lodging||Invoice from Lodging Establishment
|Mileage to and from airport||*Some campuses may require a google map outlining the route and mileage, check with your department business representative|
|Parking at Airport||Parking Receipt|
|Baggage||No receipt Required if Under $30|