The UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance plan offers decreasing term life insurance to eligible employees. Coverage levels range from $7,000 – $33,000 depending on the employee’s age. This life insurance plan covers the employee only; there is no coverage available for family members.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of death, this plan provides the following benefits:
- If an employee is terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, they may receive up to the full amount of coverage level prior to death
- Conversion of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment
- Access to the Lifestyle Benefit Program through Securian Financial which offers legal, financial and grief resources, travel assistance, legacy planning resources and beneficiary financial counseling to all active, State of Wisconsin employees. This program is offered free of charge and no enrollment is required. Click here for more information.
The UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance Plan (Group Policy #33977-G) is administered by University of Wisconsin Employees Inc., an employee-directed nonprofit corporation, and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
Employees must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for State Group Health Insurance, and
- Are not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) annuity
There is no coverage available for family members.
Employees have 30 days from their date of employment or their newly benefits-eligible job to enroll in UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance. Coverage will begin on the first of the month following 30 days from eligibility date.
If employees do not enroll in UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance during your initial 30-day enrollment period, they may apply for coverage at any time through Evidence of Insurability (acceptance not guaranteed). The Evidence of Insurability form can be accessed in the Forms & Resources section below. Coverage through evidence of insurability enrollment is effective on the first of the month on or following approval of the application by the plan’s underwriter.
If an employees was initially eligible for coverage when they were not covered by the WRS, they will receive a new opportunity to enroll within 30 days of their WRS coverage begin date.
Note: Employees may cancel coverage at any time during the year.
The level of Group Team Life Insurance coverage employees are eligible to elect is determined by their age as of January 1st of the current year.
|Age as of January 1||Benefit Amount|
|35 – 39||$28,000|
|40 – 44||$25,000|
|45 – 49||$18,000|
|50 – 54||$15,000|
|55 – 59||$13,000|
|60 – 64||$12,000|
|65 and over||$7,000|
Employees are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to their wishes. Whenever an employee has a life event, such as a marriage, divorce, birth of a child, beneficiary designations should be reviewed and updated. Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
For more information on beneficiary designations, see the Beneficiary Information page.
For UW Employees, Inc. Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
Forms & Resources
- Conversion Form – Contact the UW Service Center at email@example.com or (888) 298-0141 (7:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday) to obtain a conversion form.
last updated: 03/07/2019
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.