The UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance plan offers decreasing term life insurance to eligible employees. Coverage levels range from $7,000 – $33,000 depending on the employee’s age. This life insurance plan covers the employee only; there is no coverage available for family members.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of your death, this plan provides the following benefits:
- If you are terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, you may receive up to the full amount of your coverage level prior to your death
- of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment
- Legacy Planning Services offers access to online resources to help you and your family work through end-of-life issues
The UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance Plan (Group Policy #33977-G) is administered by University of Wisconsin Employees Inc., an employee-directed nonprofit corporation, and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
See thefor more information.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for State Group Health Insurance, and
- Are not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) annuity
There is no coverage available for family members.
You have 30 days from your date of employment or your newly benefits-eligible job to enroll in UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance. Your coverage will begin on the first of the month following 30 days from your eligibility date.
If you do not enroll in UW Employees, Inc. Life Insurance during your initial 30-day enrollment period, you may apply for coverage at any time through(acceptance not guaranteed). Coverage through evidence of insurability enrollment is effective on the first of the month on or following approval of your application by the plan’s underwriter.
If you were initially eligible for coverage when you were not covered by the WRS, you will receive a new opportunity to enroll within 30 days of your WRS coverage begin date.
Note: You may cancel coverage at any time during the year.
For UW Employees, Inc. Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
You are strongly encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. Once you enroll in coverage, Securian will send you login information so you can designate your beneficiary(ies) electronically through their secure LifeBenefits portal. You can also mail or fax a directly to Securian.
In the event there is no eligible beneficiary on record, or you do not name one, benefits will be paid in the following order:
- Your surviving spouse or domestic partner; otherwise;
- Your surviving children equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving grandchildren equally; otherwise;
- Your surviving parents equally; otherwise;
- Your surviving siblings equally; otherwise;
- Your estate.
For more information, see Beneficiary.
Forms & Resources
- LifeBenefits portal (can update beneficiary designation online)
last updated: 08/13/2018
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.