Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance offers insurance in the case of an accidental death or dismemberment for employees and their spouse or domestic partner and eligible children. You may select coverage levels that range from $25,000 to $500,000.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of accidental death or dismemberment, this plan provides the following benefits:
- Zurich Travel Assist – Travel assistant program that provides benefits when you travel at least 100 miles from your home. Additional information on this program can be accessed in the Forms & Resources section below.
- Print your for your next trip. Policy number is GTU8364005.
- CyberScout LifeStages Identity Management Services – Identity theft education and personalized resolution resources. Additional information on this program can be accessed int he Forms & Resources section below.
- Benefits to care for surviving family members including benefits to pay for daycare expenses, higher education benefits, and retraining benefits.
- Benefits for covered injuries including home alteration and vehicle modification benefits, hearing aid benefit, and therapeutic counseling benefits.
- Additional benefits paid in certain situations such as carjacking, coma, and natural disaster benefits.
- If an accidental death claim is paid due to the death of a covered employee, family coverage continues premium-free for one year after death.
- Continuation of group policy coverage at retirement.
- Conversion of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance plan (Group Policy #GTU 8364005) is administered by University of Wisconsin System Administration and Hausmann-Johnson Insurance and underwritten by Zurich American Insurance Company.
See the Fact Sheet in the Forms & Resources section below for a summary of benefits under this plan.
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for State Group Health Insurance as an active employee.
Note: If you and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible for this plan as UW System employees, you and your spouse/domestic partner may only be covered as an employee or a dependent – not both. This rule also applies to eligible children who are also eligible for this plan as an employee.
You may enroll, change or cancel your coverage at any time. If you enroll during your initial 30-day enrollment period, your coverage will begin on the first of the month following 30 days from your eligibility date. If you enroll outside of your initial enrollment period, coverage will begin on the first of the month on or following receipt of your application.
For detailed information regarding who you can cover on this plan, see the .
For Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
You are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. To designate a beneficiary(ies), complete the Beneficiary Designation Form which can be accessed in the Forms & Resources section below and submit it directly to UW System Administration (the address is listed at the bottom of the form).
If there is no eligible beneficiary, or you do not name one, benefits will be paid in the following order:
- Your surviving spouse or domestic partner, otherwise;
- Your surviving children equally; if one of your children dies before you, that child’s share is divided between your deceased child’s children, otherwise;
- Your surviving grandchildren equally; if one of your grandchildren dies before you, that grandchild’s share is divided between your deceased grandchild’s children, otherwise;
- Your surviving parents equally, otherwise;
- Your surviving siblings equally; if one of your siblings dies before you, that sibling’s share is divided between your deceased sibling’s children, otherwise;
- Your estate.
All claims associated with the death of a covered family member will be paid to the employee.
For more information, see Beneficiary.
Forms & Resources
- Continuation Form – Contact the UW Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (888) 298-0141 (7:45-4:40 p.m. Monday-Friday) if you need a continuation form.
last updated: 08/13/2018
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. This page does not guarantee enrollment or the ability to make changes to your benefits.