If you receive notices from the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Administrator, Optum Financial, about 2021 unsubstantiated health care claims, you need to substantiate, substitute, or repay your unsubstantiated claims (preferably by December 31, 2021). This page includes information on how to resolve your claims, and a timeline of what may occur between now and March 31, 2022 if you do not resolve your claims by December 31, 2021.
Basics of Unsubstantiated Health Care FSA Claims
If a health care FSA payment card transaction is not automatically substantiated, you will be notified of an “unsubstantiated claim” that needs to be resolved by substantiation, substitution, or repayment. You will receive notices about the unsubstantiated claim via the email address associated with your Optum Financial account:
- 10 days after the transaction
- 40 days after the transaction
- 70 days after the transaction
- 85 days after the transaction
Your payment card will be deactivated after 85 days, until your claims are resolved. Check the junk folder in your email for these notices. If you do not have an email associated with your Optum Financial account, the notices will be sent to the home mailing address associated with your account.
The FSA administrator sends these notifications for every health care FSA unsubstantiated claim throughout the year.
Resolving Unsubstantiated Health Care FSA Claims
prior to December 31, 2021 (to avoid the payroll withholding process):
You may submit documentation to resolve your claims using the Optum Financial mobile app, Optum Financial website, or by completing an FSA Reimbursement Claim Form. To resolve a claim, you should do one of the following:
- Substantiate the original claim with documentation. Documentation may include:
- Explanation of benefits (EOB) provided by your health or dental insurance carrier (recommended when available)
- Itemized statement or detailed receipt
- Substitute the original claim with another eligible expense. A substituted claim cannot be a claim previously submitted, and must be for the 2021 plan year.
- Repay the amount of the unsubstantiated claim directly to Optum Financial. To do so, log into your account, or contact Optum Financial directly to walk you through this option.
Additional communications are sent to you if you still have unsubstantiated FSA claims toward the end of the plan year. All notifications are sent to the email or mailing address associated with your account.
- (from Optum Financial) – via email 11/09/21 & 11/19/21
- (from Optum Financial) – via U.S. mail 11/23/21 & 12/10/21
- Unsubstantiated FSA Claims Email (from UW System) – tentatively week of 01/10/2022 (coming soon)
If you are no longer an active employee:
- You are responsible for updating your email and mailing address directly with Optum Financial.
- If you do not resolve an unsubstantiated claim, it will be converted to business debt.
For questions on how to resolve a health care FSA unsubstantiated claim, eligible expenses, or the status of a claim, contact Optum Financial at (833) 881-8158.
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.