State Group Life (SGL) Insurance offers term life insurance to you, your spouse and eligible children. Coverage is based on your eligible earnings. You may elect coverage of up to five times your eligible earnings, up to $20,000 of spouse coverage and up to $10,000 of child coverage.
In addition to benefits payable in the event of a death, this plan provides the following components:
- Employee coverage is based on your eligible earnings – if your eligible earnings increase, your coverage automatically increases the following year.
- If you become terminally ill with a life expectancy of 12 months or less, you may receive up to the full amount of your coverage prior to your death.
- If your death is accidental, the death benefit will double.
- If you have a dismemberment or experience a loss of use, you may receive a portion of your benefit.
- Conversion of coverage to an individual policy at the end of employment.
- Continuation of coverage at retirement or termination with at least 20 years of WRS service (eligibility requirements must be met). Basic employee coverage will continue after age 65 in reduced amount at no cost to you.
- Premiums may be waived if you become totally disabled.
- Access to the Lifestyle Benefit Program through Securian Financial which offers legal, financial and grief resources, travel assistance, legacy planning resources and beneficiary financial counseling to all active, State of Wisconsin employees. This program is offered free of charge and no enrollment is required. Click here for more information.
State Group Life Insurance is administered by the Department of Employee Trust Funds (ETF) and is underwritten by Securian Financial Group.
The following requirements must be met to be eligible for this plan:
- Eligible for coverage under the Wisconsin Retirement System; and
- Under age 70 at the time of initial eligibility (if 70 or older when initially eligible, can only apply for coverage through Medical Evidence of Insurability); and
- Not receiving a Wisconsin Retirement System annuity.
You have 30 days from your date of employment or your newly benefits-eligible job to enroll in State Group Life Insurance. Coverage will begin on the first day of the month following 30 days from your eligibility date.
If you do not enroll during your initial 30-day enrollment period, you may apply for coverage if you have a qualifying life event (see Life Events). You may also apply at any time through (approval not guaranteed).
For enrollment through a qualifying life event, coverage is effective on the first of the month following 30 days after the date of event. Coverage through evidence of insurability is effective on the first of the month on or following the approval of your application by the plan.
Note: You may decrease or cancel coverage at any time during the year.
You may select one to five units of Employee coverage. Each unit of coverage is based on your annual salary, rounded to the nearest $1,000. The Employee coverage level will automatically increase if your salary increases and is adjusted annually.
Spouse & Dependent Coverage
You may select one or two units of spouse & dependent coverage. Each unit insures your spouse for $10,000 and each dependent child for $5,000. All children will be covered under dependent coverage. Employee’s must enroll in Employee coverage in order to enroll in Spouse & Dependent coverage.
For detailed information on who can be covered under this plan, see the
Disability Premium Waiver
If you become disabled, you may be eligible to continue your State Group Life Insurance at no cost.
Premium Waiver eligibility
- Under age 70,
- Insured under the State Group Life Insurance program when you become disabled, and
- Are totally disabled and likely to be disabled for the indefinite future.
premium waiver information
- Notify your institution of your disability as soon as it occurs. Your institution will file the premium waiver for you.
- Once the premium waiver has been submitted by your institution, Securian will contact you to request medical documentation.
- The premium waiver will take effect once you have stopped receiving earnings from the University, including paid leave.
- Your premium waiver will remain in effect until your retirement age, usually age 65. If you are still disabled when you reach your retirement age, typically coverage will automatically continue at a reduced amount for your lifetime.
- If the disability occurs before you terminate, a premium waiver may only be filed after termination of employment. You have 36 months after the last day for which earnings were paid to inform your institution of your disability.
You are encouraged to designate a beneficiary(ies) to ensure benefits are paid according to your wishes. Review and update beneficiary designations whenever a life event occurs (marriage, divorce, or birth of a child). Beneficiary designations can be changed at any time.
For more information on beneficiary designations, see the Beneficiary Information page.
For State Group Life Insurance premiums, see the Premiums page.
The employer contributes 65.25% of the employee premium for basic coverage and an additional 37.25% of the employee premium for supplemental coverage. Employees pay the full cost of Additional, Spouse, and Dependent coverage.
Forms & Resources
- Conversion Form – Contact the UW Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or (888) 298-0141 (7:45-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday) to obtain a conversion form.
- Continuation Form – Contact your human resources office if you need a continuation form. (Continuation at retirement is automatic)
- Terms and Conditions
last updated: 06/10/19
Every effort has been made to ensure this information is current and correct. Information on this page does not guarantee enrollment, benefits and/or the ability to make changes to your benefits.