Contact Information

UW-Whitewater Travel Manager:
Alma Ramirez 


UW System Expense Audit Team:
Contact the audit team about your submitted expense report. 
Include your report ID and Name

Travel Updates

  1. Concur Trip Details and Open Ticket Memo

    Trip details for reservations booked prior to the transition to Fox World Travel on July 1, 2024, are no longer visible in Concur. Changes to these bookings can be made by calling a Fox World Travel agent at 608-710-4172. Car and hotel changes can be made directly with the vendor. Travel Incorporated open ticket credits are also no longer visible in Concur. For more information visit the UW TravelWIse agency transition page or reach out to your campus travel manager.

  1. Transition of Travel Services to Fox World Travel

    Universities of Wisconsin’s individual travel services are now supported by Fox World Travel. Travelers can contact the Higher Education Team at Fox World Travel via phone at 608-710-4172 or via email at For more information, refer to the Transition from Travel Incorporated to Fox World Travel webpage.   Open houses to answer questions related to the transition are being held throughout July. Session 1 – Thursday, July 11th 1pm – 2pm Advanced registration required Registration Link Session 2 – Tuesday, July 16th 11am – 12pm Advance registration required Registration Link Session 3 – Monday, July 22nd 3pm – 4pm registration required Registration Link […]

Travel Guidance

Things to Know Before You Travel

  1. Travel Authorizations are required for overnight travel. Day trips do not require a travel authorization. 
  2. Airline reservations for University-sponsored travel are required to be made either within Concur, the online self-booking tool, or with a Travel Agent with our designated Travel AgencyUse of online brokers or search sites such as Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University. 
    • All employees should have a Concur profile.  If you do not have a profile, please register for Concur prior to booking travel.
    • Please visit the UW TravelWIse Concur page for more information about the online booking tool. 
  3. All non-conference site lodging reservations should be made through Concur or through a Travel Agent.
    • Effective with a policy change on July 1, 2020 – UW System employees may be reimbursed for bookings done on Airbnb. 
      *Prior to booking, please review all cancellation policies, and check with your department to ensure compliance with departmental policies. Ultimate approval of reimbursement of Airbnb costs, including any forfeited deposits, is dependent on the University or Departmental policies. Please click here for more information on booking with Airbnb.
    • Use of any other online brokers or third-party sites such as, VRBO, etc. are prohibited and will not be reimbursed by the University. 
    • Prior to reserving conference site lodging, search Concur for the conference site hotel to determine if there is a lower rate available. If so, make your reservation within Concur. 
    • Concur displays available room types and rates directly from hotel suppliers.  Room types and rates available are not specific to UW System and may be above what UW policy allows. Travelers must adhere to the location rate maximums and only reserve single/standard rooms.
    • To find the location rate maximums use the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator
    • Please consult the UW System Hotel Directory for a complete list of contracted properties by location.     
  4. Please keep in mind the following tips regarding Meals and Incidentals:
    • Receipts are not required for Meals and Incidentals Expenses.
    • If the trip does not include an overnight stay, the traveler is limited to a $15 tax reportable day trip meal allowance.  This meal allowance can be claimed even if a meal was provided.
  5. Hosted Meals must stay within meal maximums, and require itemized receipts. Tax exemption is required when the meals are hosted in WI. Visit the Interview Candidates Travel Guidelines below when hosting job candidates.
  6. Rental vehicles are required to be reserved through Enterprise or National using the UWSA contract. Local reservations can be made directly with Janesville Enterprise. You must have an Emerald Club Isle profile in order to have the vehicle delivered. Hertz may also be used under the State of Wisconsin (WSCA) contract. To make local reservations or out of state reservations book online via Concur or call a Travel Agent
    • Eligible renters are classified as all University authorized drivers age 18 and over. Authorized drivers 18-20 are restricted to domestic rentals only. Rentals are limited to compact/standard/intermediate vehicle classes unless there are business needs that require larger classes of vehicles. Claims for reimbursement beyond standard/intermediate vehicle classes (i.e. trucks, vans, etc.) for reasons such as transporting extra passengers, carrying cargo or bulky equipment, etc., must be explained on the expense report.
    • Driver Authorization - any person (employee, student, volunteer) who will be driving a vehicle (personally owned or rented) on University business must be authorized to drive. To become an authorized driver, review the Driver Authorization Policy and complete a Vehicle Use Agreement (VUA). Employees and students must complete an electronic VUA by logging into the Wisconsin Department of Administration VUA Sign-up Portal
    • Drivers are responsible for refueling vehicles prior to return with same level of fuel that they received at time of rental.  The University will not reimburse vendor refueling or prepay fuel packages. Receipts are required for reimbursement of fuel purchased.
    • Enterprise, National, and Hertz for domestic rentals include Collision (CWD) and Liability (LDW) in their contract rates. Extra types of insurance are not reimbursable. Reservations can be made through Concur or through a Travel Agent.
  7. When driving your personal vehicle for University-sponsored business, you will be reimbursed for mileage at the IRS standard mileage. Calculate the Rental Vehicle vs. Personal Vehicle Cost
  8. University purchases are generally exempt from Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax.  Travelers are expected to request and receive Wisconsin sales tax exemption for travel related purchases.  The University also has sales tax exemption in other states.  Travelers should make a reasonable attempt to obtain sales tax exemption according to the tax authority's requirements.
  9. All travel related expenses for a trip must be submitted on one e-Reimbursement within 90 days after the trip completion date or will not be reimbursed by the University.


Travel authorization

How to Create Travel Authorizations in the Expense Module

SFS (Shared Financial System) Login  

Travel Authorizations must be used to obtain departmental pre-trip approval when traveling overnight according to current UWW policies. Travel Authorization requests include estimated expenses such as airfare, lodging, meals, etc. For Meals and Incidentals, use the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator for estimates. 

Approved Methods

The approved methods of payment are University Corporate Travel Cards and University Travel Purchasing Cards.


The corporate travel card is a joint liability card. The credit card statement is sent directly to the traveler. Travelers may opt to have their reimbursement routed directly to U.S. Bank through the e-reimbursement system, or pay the statement personally. To apply for a corporate travel card, fill out an online application.

View more information about the travel card on the US Bank Corporate Travel Card page.


For information on obtaining a travel purchasing card, and restrictions of use, contact your institution’s purchasing card administrator.


Which Card Do I use 

To book NCAA Athletic Team Travel, Shorts Travel Agency is the University’s contracted agency. Coaches and other athletic personnel travelling for NCAA reasons may also use Shorts for individual travel reservations.

Getting Started

CREATE YOUR PROFILE IN THE SHORT’S SYSTEM. Click here for instructions on how to create your profile. All travelers/travel arrangers are required to have a profile PRIOR to requesting travel. Make sure to enter your individual p card for any purchases and your frequent program numbers to make sure you get points for your trip! Once you are logged in, you can manage all your personal and team information, as well as view upcoming trips, all in one location. Click here for a detailed guide on the features of the travel portal.

Reservation Options

With the July 1, 2020 launch date – contacting an agent will be the only way to make reservations. There will not be any online booking to ensure top tier, personalized service.

Toll Free (Athletics Travel): 844-814-3936


Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm Central Time


Please send all contracts to with the following information 

  • Number of Travelers 
  • Location and Dates of Travel


Shorts Travel Information Page

Warhawks Portal 

Whitewater's Shorts Portal Guide

Fox World Travel is the contracted agency for all individual and group block airfare.

Most travel falls under the individual travel category and is defined as anywhere from 1 traveler to up to 10 travelers. Group Blocks are 10 or more travelers traveling on one flight to and from the same origin and destination, on the same dates.

Contact an Agent

Higher Education Team Hours: 7am-7:30pm
Agent Phone:  608-710-4172 (local)

Group Block Contact Information

Dedicated Team Business Hours: 8 am CST-5 pm CST Monday-Friday, excluding Holiday
After Hours Emergency Support: 5:30 pm-7 am CST Monday – Friday & 24/7 – including Weekend and Holiday Coverage
Direct phone: (920) 933-4180
Consultant Team Email:


Book with an Agent

Call:   Local: 608-710-4172


Need a bit more support with your booking? Working with a consultant is recommended for those:

  • Booking complex international flights
  • Booking next day/same day air travel
  • Uncomfortable with online booking
  • Who prefer to speak to an individual or are
  • Booking airfare with a companion

Agent Chat

Live chat with an agent through the Fox Portal or your e-invoice.

Chat is available Monday-Friday 7am-10:30pm (After hours fee applies after 7:30pm)

Concur Support

Fox World Travel is available to support your Concur questions. Contact support via phone at 608-710-4172 or via chat in the Concur application.

Additional information regarding International travel such as passports, travel visas, immunization requirements, foreign currency, and insurances may be found on UW TravelWIse International booking page. 

International - Meal and Lodging Maximums 

Daily meal and incidental expense per diems for all foreign locations (including all related taxes and tips) can be found using the Lodging/Meal and Incidental Calculator. If the location of travel is not listed, the 'Other' rate will apply.

Any meals provided by international hosts, conferences, or others cannot be claimed for reimbursement and should be noted as such within your e-Reimbursement Meals & Incidentals Per Diem expenses.

For foreign travel, the incidental portion of the per diem varies by location.  The incidental portion includes the following expenses:

  • Fees and tips given to services staff - such as restaurant wait staff, porters, baggage handlers, hotel housekeeping or other service staff, valet, train, etc.
  • Transportation between places of lodging or business to obtain meals when not obtainable within the immediate vicinity
  • Phone calls
  • Laundry, dry cleaning, etc.
  • Bottled water


Make your reservations through our contract with Travel Incorporated or Fox World Travel for groups, and take full advantage of expert international reservation services.

Before you purchase tickets for international travel, be aware that the Fly America Act/Open Skies Agreement requires that Americans (University travelers) who fly internationally using funds from the federal government (federal funds = grants) utilize a U.S. flag carrier, with few exceptions.


  • When there is no nonstop or direct service offered by a U.S. carrier
  • When travel solely outside the U.S. increases the number of aircraft changes en route to more than two
  • When the passenger’s travel time is extended by at least 6 hours
  • When the connecting time is 4 hours or more at an overseas interchange point

Additional information on the Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement can be found here and at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA).


Interview candidates

Potential candidates, although not state employees, are welcomed to campus for the purpose of interviewing for a potential position with UW-Whitewater.  Candidates are subject to same UW travel policies, best business practices and process standards as employees.  Listed below are some guidelines when inviting potential candidates to campus for interviewing purposes.  

The Dean or non-college Department head must approve in advance the reimbursement of travel expenses related to candidate interviews for staff or faculty positions.  Consideration for partial reimbursement is permitted, but the same consideration must be given to all candidates.

It is preferable for the University to arrange and direct pay most expenses for travel of an interview candidate.  Where that is not possible, the candidate should be informed of the travel policies in advance to avoid incurring expenses that cannot be reimbursed. The Visitor’s Travel Guide, should be sent to the candidate in advance of their trip to UWW.

Guidelines - Interview Candidate & Employee/Host

Interview Candidate

    • All travel reservations must be booked via Concur or Fox World Travel.
    • Visit the Planning Page to learn of the various ways to book for a Guest via Concur or with a Fox World Travel Agent. 


Non-Employee Profile Request Form UWW docx

  • Interview candidates are considered non-employees
  • Once completed, the employee contact can enter an e-Reimbursement on behalf of the non-employee/interview candidate
  • Necessary information to complete the form:
    • Non-employee full legal name and mailing address
    • University funding string
    • Date of first purchase for which reimbursement will be requested


  • The employee serving as host for the meal coordinates and renders payment on behalf of interview candidate and others attending the meal
  • No more than two staff will be permitted to host a meal with the candidate
  • Meal expenses are limited to Hosted Meal Rates
  • The purchase of alcoholic beverages with University administered funds is prohibited
  • The department or committee may want to consider having the interview candidate picked up at the airport or hotel by a staff member and using this time as an opportunity for discussion.  This may be a less costly option than a rental car, and provide a more personalized touch to the candidate.

  • Receipts are required for hosted meals, hotel, car rental and airfare reimbursements



Visitors Guide 

Employee Relocation

The University may reimburse relocation and/or temporary lodging expenses for new and presently employed personnel assigned to new locations by transfer or promotion.  Approval to reimburse employee relocation expenditures must be obtained from the Dean or appropriate Division head.  Details and limitations for relocation expenses are outlined in the appointment agreement initiated by Human Resources. In accordance with IRS regulations, effective January 1, 2018, the reimbursement or payment of any relocation costs under this policy are considered taxable income and subject to applicable income and employment taxes. UW Systems recommends a general rule of 30% withholding for stipends and direct moves.

Instructions for Departments

The following circumstances should be considered:

  1. Are individuals skills in critically short supply?  If yes, is payment usually available from competing employers?
  2. Is the labor market tight for this particular position?
  3. Does the individual rank above all other candidates in a combination of training, experience, and personal qualities?
  4. Will the best qualified individual for the position be unable to accept the institutions offer for financial reasons unless relocation expenses are paid

Conditions for Reimbursement:

  • The University may reimburse or pay relocation costs as noted on the Relocation (Household Moves) and Temporary or Indefinite Work Assignments 
  • Reimbursement for an employee’s relocation expenses may be allowed if the distance between the new place of employment and the old residence is at least 35 miles farther than the distance between the former place of employment and the former residence, and the distance between the new and former residence is at least 35 miles. If the approving authority determines that a relocation is a mandatory condition of employment, the minimum distance requirements are not applicable
  • Temporary lodging may be granted as part of the overall moving reimbursement total.  It is limited to 45 days, and must be approved by Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs.   

Department Responsibility:

  • Complete the Moving Pre-Approval Form found below. This form will indicate the total amount to be reimbursed to the new employee (ie. up to $2,500).  The pre-approval form will be part of the support attached to the travel expense report (TER) submitted for reimbursement. 
  • The department can issue a stipend only. Stipends can be paid to the new employee up to 30 days in advance of their move via the reimbursement system.
  • Do not indicate that you will pay “whatever it costs”.  You should have a specific amount in mind, as this cost will be charged to your department, so please plan accordingly.

Approval for reimbursement is delegated to Deans and Division heads

Employee Responsibility:

  • Arrange for move.
  • Stipends needed 30 days in advance of their move: Stipends are a flat dollar award and do not require receipts or information on how it was spent. Attach a copy of your offer to demonstrate the relocation amount offered. Lastly, add a estimated withholding tax amount see guide under resources. 


UW Whitewater Relocation/Temporary Housing Stipend Request Form pdf  

The Shared Financial System (SFS) or E-Reimbursement System is only available to active employees. If you are not an active employee and are expecting to receive a reimbursement from UW-Whitewater for travel expenses please check with your campus contact to determine the status of your expense reimbursement.


Exception Process Overview 

Exceptions to 90 day report submission requirements shall be reserved for extraordinary circumstances, such as serious illness or unforeseen emergency to the traveler. NOTE: extensive workload or not having time to
submit the expense report is NOT an extraordinary circumstance. Exceptions to policy requirements, mandatory contract use, documentation requirements, etc will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Only the Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs has the authority to grant exceptions for expense reimbursements. The submission of a travel exception will lead to additional processing times. 


Form - Procedure to request Expense Exception

Online Training & Recorded Webinars

Online Travel Training – Canvas Module (Approx 60 minute self paced course) 

Creating an Expense Report Video  (Appox 13 minutes) 


Ongoing Monthly Trainings

E-Reimbursement Training 

Occurs every first Wednesday of the month.


Full Screen Option 

*please remember to add ALL expenses related to that trip. Including all prepaid expenses.