MADISON, Wis.—The University of Wisconsin System today announced more than $1 million of grants to support 18 new Growth Agenda projects across the state.
UW System leaders reallocated existing funds to align with projects that directly advance the Growth Agenda for Wisconsin – the university’s effort to graduate more students, create more well-paying jobs, and strengthen local communities. Campuses submitted grant proposals for consideration by a committee of UW System and campus representatives in a competitive review.
“These exciting projects rose to the top in our review. They will benefit students in a variety of tangible ways – from college preparation to services for veterans to closing the achievement gap. By carefully focusing our resources and programming, UW campuses can better meet student needs and help all students succeed,” said Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs Rebecca Martin.
The selected projects, awarded in four strategic categories, are:
- KnowHow2GO Partnerships – connecting current university students with middle and high school students to boost pre-college preparation.
- Wisconsin College Access Project (UW Colleges)
- College Counts! (UW-Marinette)
- Panther Path (UW-Milwaukee)
- Parkside Ready Rangers (UW-Parkside)
- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness in Superior (GEARS)
- Math Preparation – promoting effective teaching and learning in mathematics through partnerships between UW faculty and local high school educators.
- Improved Paths from High School to College Mathematics through Teacher Development of Pedagogical Content Knowledge (UW-Eau Claire)
- MathCAST: Collaboration and Alignment to Advance Student Learning in Mathematics (UW-La Crosse)
- Integrating Quality Management in Teacher Professional Development Plans: Enhancing College Preparations in Mathematics (UW-Milwaukee)
- Mathematics Placement and Student Success (UW-Platteville)
- Collaboration with the Menomonie High School Community to Enrich College Preparation in the Area of Mathematics (UW-Stout)
- Veterans – improving programs and information for military personnel, including veterans, National Guard members, and reservists, to increase enrollment and graduation of these students.
- Veterans Information Portal (UW-Extension)
- Increasing Veterans’ Enrollment and Success (UW-River Falls)
- Closing the Achievement Gap – fostering access and achievement for historically underrepresented populations.
- Dismantling Racism Works (UW-Eau Claire)
- Eagle Mentoring Program (UW-La Crosse)
- Closing the Achievement Gap, GenChem Course Reform: a Two-Pronged Approach (UW-Madison)
- U-Pace Project (UW-Milwaukee)
- Springboard Program (UW-Stout)
- Making Goals Attainable, Practical and Possible (UW-Platteville)
These campus-based Growth Agenda projects are planned to continue for several years. As progress is made on certain goals, resources will be shifted to address persistent gaps and emerging priorities. UW System leaders expect that efforts to close the achievement gap will remain a top priority for the foreseeable future.
Descriptions of each project are available online: