Individual Travel Procedures
Prior to Making Travel Arrangements
- Obtain approval for business travel from the traveler’s designated approving authority. Pre-trip approval requirements vary by institution and often by division/department. It is the traveler’s responsibility to follow all internal travel approval procedures prior to making trip reservations.
- Ensure you have the appropriate IDs, Passports, or Visas (If travelling internationally).
- Ensure your UW payment methods are current and that your Concur Profile is up to date.
- Download the Traveler Guide to review policies and procedures.
- If combining business and personal travel, review guidelines and obtain appropriate documentation.
- Determine the mode of transportation:
- Review the ground transportation page (if ground transportation will be the mode of transportation). Out-of-state trips will most often include airfare as the mode of transportation. If another mode of transportation is being considered for a trip when air transport appears to be the most economical or logical, review Determining the Appropriate Mode of Transportation prior to making arrangements.
Note: When planning a University business trip all travelers must determine the necessary date for arrival to allow sufficient time to prepare for the business to be conducted. Actual business travel dates, supported by documentation, are used to determine what can (or cannot) be paid or reimbursed by the University.
- Review the Booking Travel page for travel booking requirements.
PRIOR TO DEPARTURE
- Reconfirm your flight information, as flight numbers and times may change frequently.
- Changes or cancellation can be done in Concur or by contacting Travel Incorporated.
- Flights may be cancelled within 24 hours of booking for a full refund. Flights cancelled after 24 hours will be saved as a credit in the traveler’s profile. For more information, view Airfare Purchase and Payment Procedures.
Airline Imposed Schedule Changes and Flight Cancellations:
- Travel Incorporated or the airline will contact the traveler either via phone or e-mail to alert of airline schedules changes/flight cancellation.
- Schedule changes that require rebooking must be reviewed with Travel Incorporated. Contact a consultant to review your options.
- Do not contact the airline directly as this will result in Travel Incorporated losing visibility to your reservation and any future flight schedule changes/cancellations.
while in travel status
- Keep track of appropriate receipts (review receipt requirements)
- If any issues arise during your travel, contact Travel Incorporated for immediate travel assistance.
- Contact your Campus Travel Manager if you need any escalation or UW travel advice.
En Route Flight Disruptions and Cancellations:
- Ensures that options on all carriers (not just the original carrier) are considered.
- Dedicated agency support ensures traveler is advised of all UW rebooking guidelines and policies.
- May be faster than waiting in line.
- Expense reports must be submitted within 90 days of the last date of travel.
- Cash Advances must be reconciled within 30 days of the last date of travel.