MADISON—The University of Wisconsin System has announced the members of its fourth systemwide student advisory council, a group of students who assist university leaders and offer unique perspectives from a student viewpoint.
The council is comprised of more than 30 students named by chancellors as UW System Student Ambassadors. By taking part in special projects and conveying student perspectives about university issues, the Student Ambassadors help keep the UW System connected with students on campus, said Linda Weimer, UW System vice president for university relations.
“Ultimately, the UW System exists to serve students,” Weimer said. “As the university works to manage budget cuts, improve academic quality and boost Wisconsin’s economy, it is critical for the UW System to have increased connections with students who live and learn on UW campuses.”
Since 2000, UW System Student Ambassadors have communicated with state legislators; assisted the Board of Regents in sharing the importance of higher education with the state of Wisconsin; and consulted with chancellors, the governor, the president of United Council of UW Students, and the student member of the Board of Regents.
The students provide input, assistance and feedback on projects and special events, such as the Wisconsin Economic Summit and UW Day at the State Fair. Because they are informed about systemwide issues that may affect their home campuses, Student Ambassadors can also be an important resource for their student body.
The UW System Student Ambassadors for the 2003-04 academic year include:
- UW-Eau Claire: Amanda Kronenwetter
- UW-Green Bay: Leslie-Ann Grom, Brian Jicinsky
- UW-La Crosse: Matt Seymour, Amy Stoecker
- UW-Madison: Brittany Grace, Mike Whitcomb
- UW-Milwaukee: Ben Butz, Avigal Harris
- UW-Oshkosh: Michael Stevens, Matt Zimmerman
- UW-Parkside: Jerome Garrett, Dave Koss
- UW-Platteville: Rebecca Gill, Travis Heller
- UW-River Falls: Amanda Jo Bryan, Ed O’Keefe
- UW-Stevens Point: Susan Lacke, Geoffrey Kinyua Mburu
- UW-Stout: Jeannette Duffy, David Hay
- UW-Superior: Dilly Abeywardene, Mindy Swanson
- UW-Whitewater: Jennifer Dalebroux, Clinton Dederich
- UW-Extension: Cyrus Anderson, Rebecca Krueger
- UW Colleges:
- UW-Baraboo/Sauk County: Richard Gross
- UW-Manitowoc: Philip Bonk
- UW-Marathon County: Clayton Zogata
- UW-Waukesha: Shalyn Miller