MADISON, Wis. – The University of Wisconsin System has announced the 16 winners of the 2010 Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award, an annual honor given to students, faculty and staff to recognize their contributions to diversity and the status of women within the UW System.
The 15th annual Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards will be presented April 17, 2010, during a ceremony at the UW System Annual Women’s Studies Conference, hosted this year by UW-Whitewater. The award and the events are co-sponsored by the UW System Women’s Studies Consortium and the UW System Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
“The UW System has had a longstanding commitment to promoting diversity at our institutions. The contributions and dedication of these outstanding women of color provide a fine model for others to follow, and their efforts enrich the UW experience for everyone,” said UW System President Kevin P. Reilly.
The 2010 Outstanding Women of Color in Education honorees are:
- Caitlin Mai Lee, UW-Eau Claire
- Yvonne Roulhac Horton, UW-Extension
- Amii John, UW-Green Bay
- Amanda Goodenough, UW-La Crosse
- Patricia A. Loew, UW-Madison
- Christine Lowery, UW-Milwaukee
- Flora Stapel, UW-Oshkosh
- Fay Akindes, UW-Parkside
- Christina J. Curras, UW-Platteville
- Tyra Nelson, UW-River Falls
- Dana E. Smith, UW-Stevens Point
- Diona D. Johnson, UW-Stout
- Carol May Stevens (deceased), UW-Superior
- Estela Mara Bensimon, UW System Administration
- Linda Holmes, UW-Whitewater
- Deborah Cureton, UW Colleges
UW institutions submit nominations for the awards, which highlight each recipient’s contributions to diversity, women’s studies scholarship or activism, or to improving the status and climate for women, particularly women of color.
“This award gives us the opportunity to hold up for appreciation the amazing, but under-recognized, efforts for diversity and equity being furthered by dedicated people every day across the UW System. It is an honor to be a part of this recognition,” said Helen Klebesadel, director of the UW System Women’s Studies Consortium.