MADISON — The University of Wisconsin System Women’s Studies Consortium has announced the winners of the 2002 Women of Color Awards, which recognize contributions from women of color at all levels within the UW System.
The 8th annual Women of Color Award winners were honored Saturday, Nov. 2, during a ceremony at the UW System Annual Women’s Studies Conference. The awards are presented to UW System faculty, staff and students who are nominated by their institutions.
“The Women of Color Awards recognize the contributions these individuals have made to their institution, their community, and in particular, to Women of Color,” said Helen Klebesadel, director of the UW System Women’s Studies Consortium. “The winners are exemplars of commitment to educational excellence through diversity.”
This year’s honorees are:
- UW Colleges: Ms. Anna San Diego, multicultural student advisor, UW-Waukesha;
- UW-Eau Claire: Dr. Asha Sen, assistant professor, Department of English;
- UW-Extension: Ms. Alice Meade-Taylor, director, Milwaukee County (posthumous);
- UW-Green Bay: Dr. Lisa Poupart, chair of American Indian Studies, Department of Humanistic Studies;
- UW-La Crosse: Ms. Antoiwana K. Williams, coordinator, Academic Success Institute, Office of Multicultural Student Services;
- UW-Madison: Dr. Seema Kapani, diversity education coordinator, Equity and Diversity Resource Center;
- UW-Milwaukee: Dr. Gwat-Yong Lie, associate professor of social work, Helen Bader School of Social Welfare;
- UW-Milwaukee: Judith Rozie-Battle, J.D., assistant professor, Department of Social Work, Helen Bader School of Social Welfare;
- UW-Oshkosh: Dr. Fumiko Fukuta, chair of the department and associate professor of Japanese, Foreign Languages and Literatures Department;
- UW-Parkside: Ms. Mary Day, director, Minority Precollege, Center for Community Partnerships’ Minority Precollege Department;
- UW-River Falls: Ms. Nou Ka Yang, student (senior), art major;
- UW-Stevens Point: Ms. Rosario Alemparte, outreach specialist, Multicultural Affairs;
- UW-Stout: Ms. Kathy Baerg, associate advisor, Student Support Services;
- UW-Superior: Ms. Marlene L. Hart, student, Social Work Major;
- UW-Whitewater: Ms. Deborah C. Bowen, lecturer, Department of Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health;
- UW System: Nancy Crabb, director, Office of Information Services, Office of Learning and Instructional Technology.
The award is co-sponsored by the UW System Women’s Studies Consortium, the Office of Academic Diversity and Development and the Office of Women’s Issues.
Helen Klebesadel, UW System