MADISON, Wis. – University of Wisconsin System President Kevin P. Reilly today appointed a 25-member search and screen committee to help identify a successor to UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Carlos Santiago.
Reilly appointed 13 UW-Milwaukee faculty members, two academic staff members, one classified staff member, and two students to the committee. They are joined by one campus administrator, one UW System representative, and five community representatives. Professor Mark Schwartz from UW-Milwaukee’s Geography Department will chair the committee. Schwartz is also the current chair of UWM’s University Committee.
Serving on the campus search and screen committee are:
- Razia Azen, Associate Professor, Educational Psychology
- Kimberly Blaeser, Professor, English
- Susan Dean-Baar, Associate Professor, Nursing
- Simone Ferro, Associate Professor, Dance
- Paul Florsheim, Associate Professor, Addiction & Behavioral Health
- Al Ghorbanpoor, Professor, Civil Engineering
- James Peoples, Professor, Economics
- Harvey Rabinowitz, Professor, Architecture
- Kent Redding, Associate Professor, Sociology
- Mark Schwartz, Professor, Geography (chair)
- Ginny Stoffel, Associate Professor, Occupational Science & Technology
- Rudi Strickler, Professor, Biological Sciences
- Dietmar Wolfram, Professor, School of Information Studies
- Mariann Maris, Senior Lecturer, English
- Jean Salzer, Senior Counselor, Student Accessibility Center
- Michael Maass, Custodian
- Tom Luljak, Vice Chancellor of University Relations & Communications
- Don Mash, Executive Senior Special Assistant, President’s Office
- Angela Lang, Student Association Vice President
- Travis Romero-Boeck, Student Association President
- Ricardo Diaz, Executive Director, United Community Center
- Jacquelyn Fredrick, President and CEO, BloodCenter of Wisconsin
- Ellen Gilligan, President and CEO, Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Sheldon Lubar, Founder and Chairman, Lubar & Co.
- Arthur Smith, President and CEO, Keystone American Express Travel Services
Following an intensive search and screening process, the committee is expected to recommend at least five candidates as finalists for consideration by Reilly and a special Board of Regents committee chaired by Regent Danae Davis of Milwaukee. Others serving on the committee include Regent Judith Crain of Green Bay, Regent Tony Evers of Madison, Regent Michael Spector of Milwaukee, and Regent José Vásquez of Milwaukee.
After a series of public presentations and personal interviews, Reilly and the special committee will recommend one individual to the full Board, which must approve the chancellor’s appointment.
The campus search committee will convene for the first time on Nov. 10. At that meeting, Davis and Reilly will officially charge the committee with its mission and roles, review procedures, and begin the national search.
UW-Milwaukee is one of two doctoral universities in the UW System. With an enrollment of more than 30,400 students, the university has an annual budget of $478.5 million.
On August 16, former Chancellor Carlos Santiago announced that he would leave Milwaukee to become CEO of the Hispanic College Fund. On September 10, Reilly announced that Michael R. Lovell, Dean of UWM’s College of Engineering and Applied Science since 2008, had agreed to serve as Interim Chancellor.