MADISON, Wis. – University of Wisconsin System President Kevin P. Reilly today appointed a 25-member search and screen committee to help identify a successor to UW-Madison Interim Chancellor David Ward, who has served since July 2011.
Reilly appointed 13 UW-Madison faculty members, two academic staff members, two classified staff members, two students, and one campus dean to the committee. They will be joined by one UW System Administration representative and four community representatives. Professor David McDonald, from UW-Madison’s History Department, will chair the committee.
Serving on the Search and Screen Committee are:
- David McDonald, Professor, History (Chair)
- Michael Bernard-Donals, Professor, English
- Patricia Brennan, Professor, Nursing and Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Judith Burstyn, Professor, Chemistry
- Alta Charo, Professor, Law and Bioethics
- Katherine Cramer Walsh, Associate Professor, Political Science
- Brian Fox, Professor, Biochemistry
- Irwin Goldman, Professor, Horticulture
- Ben Graf, Associate Professor, Orthopedics
- Douglass Henderson, Professor, Engineering Physics
- Ellen Sapega, Professor, Spanish & Portuguese
- Patrick Sims, Associate Professor, Theatre & Drama
- William Tracy, Professor, Agronomy
- Aaron Bird Bear, Senior Student Services Coordinator, College of Education, Student Diversity Programs
- Heather Daniels, Senior Administrative Program Specialist, Graduate School, Research Services
- Mary Czynszak-Lyne, University Services Program Associate, College of Letters & Science, Honors Program
- Debbie Weber, Academic Department Supervisor, Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
- Jason Chiang, MD-PhD candidate
- Cody Ostenson, English major
- David Florin, President of Hiebing Group, and past Chair, Wisconsin Alumni Association Board of Directors
- George F. Hamel, Jr., Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer, ValueAct Capital, and Board Member, UW Foundation Board of Directors
- Doris Meissner, Senior Fellow, Migration Policy Institute, and Board Member, WARF Board of Trustees
- Tashia Morgridge, Member, School of Education Board of Visitors, and past Member, UW Foundation Board
- Don Mash, Executive Senior Special Assistant, President’s Office, UW System Administration
- Julie Underwood, Dean, School of Education
Following a national search and intensive screening process, the committee is expected to recommend five candidates as finalists for consideration by Reilly and a special Board of Regents committee, chaired by Regent Charles Pruitt of Milwaukee. Other members of the committee include Regent Regina Millner (Madison), Regent President Brent Smith (La Crosse), Regent David Walsh (Madison), and Student Regent Katherine Pointer (UW-Madison).
After a series of public presentations and personal interviews, Reilly and the Regent committee will recommend one individual to the full Board, which must approve the appointment.
The campus search committee will convene for the first time on October 3rd at 10 a.m. At that meeting, Reilly will officially charge the committee with its mission, review procedures, and begin the national search.
UW-Madison, the oldest and largest campus in the UW System, enrolls more than 42,000 students in 157 undergraduate majors, and conducts more than $1 billion worth of research annually.