MADISON — University of Wisconsin System President Katharine C. Lyall today announced the names of three finalists for the position of chancellor of UW-Madison.
The names have been forwarded to the Board of Regents’ Special Committee for the UW-Madison Chancellor Search, chaired by Regent President Jay Smith, which will interview the finalists in Madison on Thursday, November 2 and Friday, November 3.
Other committee members are Regents JoAnne Brandes, Guy Gottschalk, Frederick E. Mohs and Jose A. Olivieri. The full Board of Regents will take final action once it receives a recommendation from the special committee.
The finalists, their titles and current institutions are as follows:
- Nancy E. Cantor
Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Susan Westerberg Prager
Provost and Chief Academic Officer
Dartmouth College (Hanover, New Hampshire)
- John D. Wiley
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Wisconsin-Madison (Madison, Wisconsin)
A 21-member UW-Madison campus/community search and screen committee, chaired by Bernice Durand, professor of physics, submitted its recommendations to President Lyall on October 24. The committee is arranging and hosting two on-campus receptions for each finalist.
The person chosen by the Regents will become the 27th leader of the UW-Madison campus and will succeed David Ward, who has served in that position since 1993. Chancellor Ward announced in March that he would step down at the end of December.
Press Availability to Candidates:
- Nancy Cantor 2:00 -2:30 p.m., November 1, University Club Reading Room
- John Wiley 9:30 -10:00 a.m., November 2, Memorial Union, Roundtable Room
- Susan Prager 4:15 -4:45 p.m., November 2, Memorial Union, Capitol View Room
Reception for UW-Madison Faculty and Staff:
- Nancy Cantor 2:30 p.m., November 1, Gallery Three, Elvehjem Museum of Art
- Susan Prager 1:30 p.m., November 2, Gallery Three, Elvehjem Museum of Art
- John Wiley 3:00 p.m., November 2, Gallery Three, Elvehjem Museum of Art
Reception for UW-Madison Students:
- Nancy Cantor 4:00 p.m., November 1, Tripp Commons, Memorial Union
- Susan Prager 3:00 p.m., November 2, Tripp Commons, Memorial Union
- John Wiley 4:30 p.m., November 2, Tripp Commons, Memorial Union
Media Contact Information:
University of Wisconsin System Contact: Linda Weimer; Kevin Boatright
Phone: (608) 263-5512
University of Wisconsin-Madison Contact: Amy Toburen; Erik Christianson
Office of News and Public Affairs
Phone: (608) 262-3571; 262-0925
University of Michigan Contact: Lisa Rudgers; Julie Peterson
Phone: (734) 763-5800
Dartmouth College Contact: Laurel Stavis; Roland Adams
Phone: (603) 646-3661
Nancy E. Cantor