MADISON—A 17-member search-and-screen committee has been appointed by University of Wisconsin System President Katharine C. Lyall to help identify a successor to former UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Thomas George.
The committee will be chaired by Padmanabhan Sudevan, UW-Stevens Point professor of psychology. He will be joined by eight other faculty members, two academic staff members, two students, two university administrators and two community members.
“UW-Stevens Point will seek a chancellor who has solid scholarly credentials and strong administrative experience and is willing to work closely with all of our constituencies—faculty and staff, students and the community of Central Wisconsin—in promoting the university’s mission and values and in developing our vision of what an institution of higher education should accomplish for the people we serve,” said Sudevan. “I am quite optimistic that the fine committee that President Lyall has assembled will be successful in the important task we have ahead of us.”
The committee will conduct its work during the fall and winter, and will recommend at least five candidates who could replace George, now chancellor of the University of Missouri-St. Louis. Lyall and a special committee of the UW System Board of Regents will then conduct final interviews and make a recommendation to the full board.
Members of the UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Search and Screen Committee are as follows:
- Faculty: Anna Haines, assistant professor in the College of Natural Resources; Eugene Johnson, professor of chemistry; Benjamin Ofori-Amoah, professor of geography and geology; Marcia Parker, associate professor of French; Valentina Peguero, professor of history; Aga Razvi, professor of soil science; John Smith, assistant professor of art and design; Padmanabhan Sudevan, professor of psychology; Leslie Wilson, professor of education.
- Academic Staff: Ada Jane Diekelman, lecturer of math and computing; Terri Lynn Taylor, director of events, UWSP Foundation.
- Students: Nicholas Crawford, senior majoring in urban forestry; Rachel Marlett, senior majoring in wildlife education.
- Administrators: Greg Diemer, vice chancellor for business affairs; Larry Rubin, assistant vice president for academic and student services, UW System.
- Community: John Evans, CEO, Associated Bank-North Central Region; Charles Nason, president, Worzalla Publishing Company.
Lyall appointed the committee after broad consultation with the university community, alumni and donors, regents and others.
The Special Regent Committee for the UW-Stevens Point Chancellor Search is chaired by Regent Roger E. Axtell. Joining him on the committee are Regents Mark J. Bradley, Gregory L. Gracz, Peggy Rosenzweig and Jesus Salas.
Note to News Media
President Lyall, Regent Axtell and members of the Special Regent Committee will meet with the UW-Stevens Point campus/community search-and-screen committee on Friday, Oct. 3, from 1-4 p.m. in the Founder’s Room on the first floor of UWSP’s Old Main building, 2100 Main St. The committee will receive its charge and discuss the process. There will also be a review of the position description and an opportunity for committee members to ask questions. This is an open meeting.