MADISON — The works of University of Wisconsin System visual artists will be on display starting Monday (Sept. 10) to April 8, 2002, as part of the first Brittingham Art Invitational.
The invitational showcases selected pieces of artwork of 17 art faculty and instructors from throughout the 26-campus university system, said UW System President Katharine Lyall.
“We have a tremendous amount of talent in our art departments on all of our two-year and four-year campuses, and the Brittingham Art Invitational is a wonderful opportunity to display this talent to the state,” Lyall said.
UW System artists were invited to submit artwork for consideration last spring. A selection committee chose the final pieces to be exhibited. The 46 pieces of art will be displayed at Brittingham House, the official residence of the UW System president, and in the UW System office space at Van Hise Hall on the UW-Madison campus.
“It seems particularly appropriate for these works to be exhibited in a university system setting,” said Guest Curator Christie Charbonneau Wells, an oil painter and former curator of the Indiana State University Permanent Art Collection.
“For the individual artist, creating art often involves an immersion in self that can be an isolating experience. This exhibition provides an important opportunity to view current work and establish a dialogue among artists and a broader community.”
The artwork on display includes a wide variety of media and stylistic approaches, including ceramics, drawings, etchings, lithographs, paintings, photographs, printmaking, textiles, weaving and woodcuts.
The artists chosen for inclusion in the Brittingham Art Invitational are:
- Susan Batts, graduate student and teaching assistant, UW-Madison;
- Marna Goldstein Brauner, professor of art, UW-Milwaukee;
- Morgan Clifford, professor of art, UW-River Falls;
- Joel Elgin, associate professor of art, UW-La Crosse;
- Alan Goldsmith, assistant professor of graphic design, web design, flash animation and computer illustration, UW-Parkside;
- David Heberlein, associate professor of art, UW-River Falls;
- Li Hu, associate professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Edwin Jager, assistant professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Jake Keeler, graduate student and teaching assistant, UW-Madison;
- Deirdre Monk, assistant professor of art, UW-Eau Claire;
- Susan Morrison, assistant professor of art, UW-Stevens Point;
- Michael Padgett, associate professor of art and department chair, UW-River Falls;
- Gail Panske, associate professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Donald Howard Ruedy, professor of art and department chair, UW-Barron County;
- Elaine Scheer, associate professor of art and graduate department chair, UW-Madison;
- Ron Weaver, professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Jennifer Williams, assistant professor of art, UW-La Crosse.
The artists will be honored by the UW System Board of Regents on Thursday. Their artwork can be viewed online.