MADISON — More than 60 works by University of Wisconsin System visual artists are currently on display as part of the 2nd annual Brittingham Art Invitational.
The invitational features selected pieces of artwork by 44 art faculty and instructors from throughout the 26-campus university system, said UW System President Katharine C. Lyall.
“The UW System is fortunate to have so many talented artists as members of the faculty and staff,” Lyall said. “The Brittingham Art Invitational allows us to showcase their remarkable and diverse works for the public.”
UW System artists were invited to submit artwork for consideration last spring. A selection committee chose the pieces to be exhibited. The artworks are on display through June 1st at Brittingham House, the official residence of the UW System president, and at the Office of the President in Van Hise Hall, in the heart of the UW-Madison campus.
“Art, by its very nature, reflects the culture and times in which it is created,” said Guest Curator Christie Charbonneau Wells, an oil painter and former curator of the Indiana State University Permanent Art Collection.
“The diverse issues that clamor for attention in the United States today are reflected in this collection. The viewer who takes the time to study and reflect on the works presented here will be richly rewarded,” Wells said.
The collection includes a variety of media and stylistic approaches, including ceramics, drawings, etchings, lithographs, paintings, photographs, printmaking, textiles and woodcuts.
The artists chosen for inclusion in the 2nd annual Brittingham Art Invitational are:
- Amy E. Arntson, professor of art, UW-Whitewater;
- Susan Batts, graduate student and teaching assistant, UW-Madison;
- Lisa Bigalke, instructor of drawing and design, UW-Parkside;
- Marna Goldstein Brauner, professor of art, UW-Milwaukee;
- Keven Frank Brunett, adjunct professor of 3-D design, UW-Oshkosh;
- Diana Lee Budde, assistant professor of art, UW-Marathon County;
- Matthew T. Bynum, assistant professor of ceramics, UW-Parkside;
- Carol Lee Chase, adjunct professor of art, UW-River Falls;
- Stephanie Copoulos-Selle, professor of art, UW-Waukesha;
- Kristy Deetz, assistant professor of art, UW-Green Bay;
- Doug DeVinny, professor of art, UW-Parkside;
- Paul Donhauser, professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Bernice Ficek-Swenson, professor of art, UW-River Falls;
- Thomas M. Fleming, professor of art, UW-Marathon County;
- Karen Gunderman, professor of ceramics, UW-Milwaukee;
- Woody Haid, assistant professor of art and design, UW-Stout;
- Curt Heuer, associate professor of art, UW-Green Bay;
- John Hitchcock, assistant professor of relief and screenprinting, UW-Madison;
- David Valentine Holmes, professor of painting, drawing and design, UW-Parkside;
- Randy James Johnston, professor of ceramics, UW-River Falls;
- Kitty Kingston, associate professor of art, UW-Marshfield/Wood County;
- Thomas Kleese, assistant professor of art, UW-Richland;
- Kay Knight, associate professor of painting and drawing, UW-Milwaukee;
- Charles A. Kraus, professor and Area Head of Sculpture, UW-Milwaukee;
- Debra Lawton, lecturer, UW-Madison;
- Jeff Lipschutz, professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Sangram Majumdar, assistant professor of art, UW-Eau Claire;
- Richard Masters, assistant professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Gabrielle L. Mayer, assistant professor of art, UW-Stout;
- Robert Mertens, professor and chair of the Art Department, UW-Whitewater;
- Susan Messer, professor of drawing and printmaking, UW-Whitewater;
- Deirdre Monk, instructor of photography, UW-Eau Claire;
- Susan Morrison, assistant professor of art, UW-Stevens Point;
- Leslee Nelson, professor of art and liberal studies and the arts, UW-Madison;
- Gail D. Panske, associate professor of art, UW-Oshkosh;
- Deni Ray, associate lecturer, UW-Oshkosh;
- Barbara Reinhart, assistant professor of design, drawing and photography, UW-Waukesha;
- Enrique Rueda, multimedia research artist, Wisconsin Center for Education Research, UW-Madison;
- Donald Howard Ruedy, professor of art and department chair, UW-Barron County;
- Denis Sargent, associate professor of painting and drawing, UW-Milwaukee;
- Pamela Schermer, associate professor of visual arts, UW-Milwaukee;
- Rob Stolzer, associate professor of painting and drawing, UW-Stevens Point;
- Erin Tapley, instructor of art education, UW-Oshkosh;
- Max L. White, assistant professor of art, UW-Whitewater.
The artists were honored at a reception Thursday evening. The artwork can be viewed online at wisconsin.edu/art.