Operation and Maintenance of Physical Plant–Functional Definition:
Subject to the chargeback policies contained in UW System Administrative Policy 322, Physical Plant Service Chargebacks, this category should include all expenditures of current operating funds for the operation and maintenance of physical plant, in all cases net of amounts charged to auxiliary enterprises, hospitals, and independent operations. It does not include expenditures made from the institutional plant fund accounts. It includes all expenditures for operations established to provide services and maintenance related to grounds and facilities. Also included are utilities, fire protection, and similar items.
- Physical Plant Administration
- Facilities Planning and Capital Budgeting
- Building Maintenance
- Custodial Services
- Grounds Maintenance
- Major Repairs and Renovations
- Other Services
- Mandatory Transfers/Debt Service
Physical Plant Administration–
Includes expenditures for administrative activities that directly support physical plant operations.
Facilities Planning and Capital Budgeting–
Includes expenditures for activities related to the development of plans for plant expansion or modifications, as well as plans for new construction. Capital budget should also be included in this sub-program. However, costs for the institution’s chief facilities planning executive and related clerical support costs should be included under the Executive Management sub-program of Institutional Support.
Includes expenditures for activities related to routine repair and maintenance of buildings and other structures, including both normally recurring repairs and preventive maintenance.
Includes expenditures related to custodial services in buildings.
Includes expenditures related to heating, cooling, light and power, gas, water, and any other utilities necessary for operation of the physical plant.
Includes expenditures related to the operation and maintenance of landscape and grounds.
Major Repairs and Renovations–
Includes expenditures related to repairs and renovations that have an estimated cost in excess of $5000. Minor repairs should be classified in the sub-program “Building Maintenance.”
Other services organizationally assigned to the physical plant program but not compatible with prior sub-programs. These tend to be unique to particular institutions.
Mandatory Transfers/Debt Service on Physical Facilities–
Debt service payments on non-auxiliary and non-student services physical facilities.
- A separate Dept./ID code should be established for each sub-program and for any activities reported under Other Services. Because a Dept./ID code will be used to identify all heating plant operations, a separate sub-department designation must be assigned for electricity, heating fuels, and water and sewer.
- Property rentals (i.e., expenditures for space rented by the institution) and trucking and moving costs should be included under Other Services.
- Environmental health and safety, including hazardous waste management should be included under the Other Services sub-program.
- Debt service payments on multiple use facilities should be pro-rated among the benefitting programs (Student Services, Auxiliary Enterprises, Physical Plant).