Expenditures for all activities through which a student may earn credit toward a postsecondary degree or certificate granted by the university. Also includes expenditures for preparatory/remedial instruction even though these courses may not carry degree credit. Expenditures for curriculum development, departmental research and public service that are not separately budgeted are included.
General Academic Instruction
General Academic Instruction–
Includes expenditures for all degree-credit instruction.
Includes expenditures for which cost recovery is required under the UW System policy on remedial education.
Included under Instruction:
- Salaries and support costs for departmental chairpersons and their staff are included under the General Academic Instruction sub-program.
- All degree credit costs, including summer session, regardless of course locations or hours during which they are taught, are included under the appropriate sub-program.
- Instruction-related costs of field stations, arboreta, conservation areas, and teaching clinics. (Non-instructional costs of these facilities, other than Farm Operations, should be included under the Ancillary Support sub-program of Academic Support.)
- Course catalogs, bulletins and timetables.
- Instructional computing costs that are charged back to users. (Instructional computing costs that are not charged back to users are included under the Academic Computing Support sub-program of Academic Support.)
- Fees for library and media services, special course fees collected for materials and field trips, and similar instructionally related revolving account activities.
- Departmental computing laboratories.
- Tutorials should be coded to General Academic Instruction.
- Coop programs and internships should be coded to General Academic Instruction if for credit and to the Counseling and Career Guidance sub-program of Student Services if non-credit.
- Recruitment and retention of faculty should be included under General Academic Instruction unless tied to research program incentives.
- Administration of study abroad programs should be included under General Academic Instruction. Generalized administration of international programs should be included under the Academic Administration sub-program of Academic Support. Student services provided to international students should be coded to the appropriate Student Services sub-program.
Excluded from Instruction:
- All non-credit instruction (except preparatory/remedial instruction) should be included under the Outreach Education sub-program of Public Service.
- All salaries and support costs for academic deans and their staff should be included under the Academic Administration sub-program of Academic Support; however, amounts budgeted through deans’ offices which will spent directly for the benefit of Instruction, Research or Public Service should be included under the appropriate program. All salaries and support costs for Academic Affairs Vice Chancellors and their staff should be included under the Executive Management sub-program of Institutional Support.
- GPR and other costs associated with Intercollegiate Athletics, including staff release time, should be included under the Intercollegiate Athletics sub-program of Student Services.
- Expenditures for formally budgeted/separately organized academic advising should be included under the Academic Advising sub-program of Academic Support.
- Expenditures for formally budgeted/separately organized course and curriculum development should be included under that separately identified sub-program of Academic Support.
- Expenditures for sabbaticals and other activities that provide faculty with opportunities for personal and professional development should be included under the Academic Personnel Development sub-program of Academic Support.
- Campus-wide, college-wide or school-wide computing laboratories should be included under the Academic Computing Support sub-program of Academic Support.