Student Services–Functional Definition:
This category should include funds expended for offices of admissions and registrar and those activities whose primary purpose is to contribute to the student’s emotional and physical well-being and to his or her intellectual, cultural, and social development outside the context of the formal instruction program. It includes expenditures for student activities, cultural events, student newspapers, intramural athletics, student organizations, intercollegiate athletics, counseling and career guidance (excluding informal academic counseling by the faculty), student aid administration, and student health services.
- Student Services Administration
- Administrative Data Processing–Student Services
- Social and Cultural Development
- Intercollegiate Athletics
- Counseling and Career Guidance
- Financial Aid Administration
- Student Admissions
- Student Records
- Student Health Services
- Child Care Services
- Educational Opportunity
- Transportation Services
- Mandatory Transfers/Debt Service
Student Services Administration–
Includes expenditures for organized administrative activities that provide assistance and support (excluding academic support) the needs and interests of students. This subcategory includes only administrative activities that support more than one subcategory of student activities and/or that provide central administrative services related to the various student service activities. Excluded from this subcategory are activities of the institution’s chief officer for student affairs, whose activities are institution-wide and, therefore, should be appropriately classified as institutional support.
Administrative Data Processing – Student Services–
As described in Attachment 2, includes expenditures for all administrative data processing activities that benefit student service activities.
Social and Cultural Development–
Includes expenditures for organized activities that provide for students’ social and cultural development outside the formal academic program. This subcategory includes cultural events, student newspapers, intramural athletics, student organizations, the non-retail operations of student unions, etc.
Includes expenditures for the intercollegiate sports program.
Counseling and Career Guidance–
Includes expenditures for formally organized placement, career guidance, and personal counseling services for students. (Personal counseling services conducted under the auspices of the Student Health Service should be included under that sub-program.) This subcategory includes vocational testing and counseling services and activities of the placement office. Excluded from this subcategory are formally organized/separately budgeted academic counseling activities (academic support) and informal academic counseling services (instruction) provided by the faculty in relation to course assignments.
Financial Aid Administration–
Includes expenditures for activities that provide financial aid services and assistance to students. This subcategory does not include outright grants to students, which should be classified as scholarships and fellowships.
Includes expenditures for activities related to: 1) the identification of prospective students; 2) the promotion of attendance at the institution; and, 3) the processing of applications for admission.
Includes expenditures for activities to maintain, handle, and update records for currently enrolled students as well as for students who were previously enrolled.
Student Health Services–
Includes expenditures for organized student health services.
Child Care Services–
Includes expenditures for child care services that exist primarily as a service to students.
Includes expenditures for transportation services intended primarily for the benefit of students (unless these services rely primarily on user fees and fall within the definition of Auxiliary Enterprises).
Includes expenditures for services provided for particular types of students (e.g., minority students, veterans, handicapped students), as well as expenditures for pre-college programs, learning skills programs and related services.
Mandatory Transfers/Debt Service–
Debt service payments on student service facilities.
Included under Student Services:
- Non-credit co-op programs and internships should be coded Counseling and Career Guidance.
- Orientation programs should be included under the Admissions sub-program.
- Graduate school admissions should be included under Admissions except at doctoral institutions where admissions may be included under Academic Administration.
Excluded from Student Services:
- Expenditures for child care services which exist primarily to provide an instructional practicum for students should be included under the Ancillary Support sub-program of Academic Support.
- Athletic clinics open to high school students and other members of the public should be included under the Community Service sub-program of Public Service.
- Debt service payments on multiple use facilities should be pro-rated among the benefiting activities (Student Services, Auxiliary Enterprises, Physical Plant).