Download theto view current membership of standing committees as well as other committees and appointments.
About the Committees
All information regarding the duties and appointing processes of the various committees is outlined in Section III of the.
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 2:
The Education Committee shall have charge of consideration of all matters of an educational nature related to the instruction, research, and public service functions of the University System; the academic personnel; and to student services and welfare.
Business and Finance Committee
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 3:
Authority is delegated to the Business and Finance Committee to hire investment counsel, subject to Board approval, and to give discretionary authority to investment counsel in the purchase and sale of securities within guidelines determined by the Committee.
Capital Planning and Budget Committee
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 4:
- Establish standards and identify resources to maintain, renew and replace (when needed) existing capital assets
- Promulgate policies related to the development of the biennial capital budget
- Explore innovative funding strategies to help address the facilities needs of university campuses
- Establish policies for the appropriate use of internal and external sources of funds for capital needs
- Review long range development plans, master plans, and transportation plans
- Review campus boundaries and authorize real estate transactions
- Review design reports and authorize construction of capital projects
- Review naming of facilities
- Determine disposition of decommissioned facilities
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations related to zoning, environmental protection, physical safety and removal of architectural barriers
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 5:
The Executive Committee shall have the powers of the Board, when the Board is not in session, and shall provide for the execution of orders and resolutions not otherwise specially committed or provided for. A separate record of the proceedings of this Committee shall be kept by the Secretary, and the same shall be submitted to the Board for inclusion in the record at the next regular or special meeting.
Personnel Matters Review Committee
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 6:
The President of the Board may refer faculty and staff personnel matters involving requests for hearing, petitions for review, and appeals to the Board to the Personnel Matters Review Committee.
- a. Mandatory review. Where an opportunity to be heard, a review or an appeal to the Board is required by the Board’s administrative rules, such as UWS 4.08, 5.14(3) or 11.10, Wisconsin Administrative Code, or under Board policies, the Committee may conduct the hearing, review or appeal. All such proceedings shall be conducted upon the record of the matter created at the institutional or administrative levels. The Committee shall prepare recommended findings and a decision, and shall transmit them to the full Board for final action.
- b. Discretionary review. Where consideration of a matter by the Board is discretionary either under the Board’s administrative rules, such as UWS 5.14(2), 6.01(5), 6.02, 11.07, or 12.05(8), Wisconsin Administrative Code, or under Board policies, or on any other basis, it shall first be determined whether the request for Board consideration should be granted. In making the determination, the following factors shall be considered:
- (1) The case involves substantial constitutional claims;
- (2) There is a serious concern that the chancellor has abused his/her discretion or exceeded his/her authority;
- (3) The decision made at the institutional level could have system-wide implications; or
- (4) The final institutional decision is based upon facts not supported by the record, resulting in material prejudice to the individual seeking review.
- c. If the Board determines that a request for Board consideration should be granted, the Committee may conduct the review or hearing. All such proceedings shall be conducted upon the record of the matter created at the institutional or administrative levels. The Committee shall prepare recommended findings and a decision, and shall transmit them to the full Board for final action.
Committee on Faculty and Academic Staff Collective Bargaining
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 8:
The Committee on Faculty and Academic Staff Collective Bargaining shall have charge of consideration of all matters relating to collective bargaining under ch. 111, subch. VI, Wis. Stats., “University of Wisconsin System Faculty and Academic Staff Labor Relations.”
Research, Economic Development, and Innovation Committee
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 9:
- The Research, Economic Development, and Innovation Committee shall have the following responsibilities:
- Adopt policies and develop strategies designed to strengthen the UW System’s overall contribution to the economic development of the state and to support professional development, outreach, and research at all UW System institutions within the context of their unique missions.
- Consider any matters related to the University’s role in enhancing its research enterprise and bolstering the state’s economy. Such matters may include the advancement and growth of basic, applied, and clinical research; technology transfer; entrepreneurship; industry partnerships; and the development of intellectual capital for the benefit of the state of Wisconsin.
- Highlight successful research and economic development efforts, partnerships, and innovations involving UW System institutions.
- Focus attention on the Board’s statutory responsibilities to report on and ensure accountability for research and economic development activities at UW System institutions.
Bylaws Chapter III, Section 10:
As outlined in the committee’s charter as adopted by the Board of Regents, the Audit Committee shall have charge of the oversight of: all audit-related matters, internal and external; compliance with laws and regulations; internal controls; enterprise risk management; and ethics.
Other Committees and Appointments
- Academic Staff Excellence Awards Committee
- Diversity Awards Committee
- Teaching Excellence Awards Committee
- Higher Educational Aids Board
- Hospital Authority Board
- Research Park Board
- Wisconsin Educational Communications
- Wisconsin Technical College System Board
- Wisconsin Partnership Program
- WiSys Advisory Board
- Liaison to Association of Governing Boards
- Special Regent Committee for the UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Search