University Personnel System Operational Policies
Wis. Stat. authorizes and directs the University of Wisconsin System to develop two distinct personnel systems: one for UW-Madison and one for all other UW System institutions. They are separate and distinct from the personnel system outlined under Chapter 230 of the Wisconsin Statutes (State Employment Relations). Effective July 1, 2015, the statutes contained in Chapter 230 and the rules and procedures established by the Office of State Employment Relations are no longer applicable. University staff are placed under the authority of the UW Board of Regents.
The new personnel systems are:
- UPS Operational Policies which apply to all UW System employees excluding UW-Madison.
- HR Design Policies which apply to UW-Madison
These new systems were implemented on July 1, 2015. These policies apply to all UW System employees statewide. On July 15, 2019, the UPS Operational Policies were integrated into the UW System Administrative Policies & Procedures – 1200 Series, University Personnel System Operational Policies. The UPS policies solely intended to provide interpretation/implementation guidance were converted to webpage format in the form of practice directives and will be housed on the UW System Human Resources’ website.
Unclassified Personnel Guidelines
The Unclassified Personnel Guidelines are provided as a historic reference. These policies were effective prior to implementation of UPS and HRD on July 1, 2015.
Other Related Policies Resources
- University of Wisconsin System Policies Homepage: Find a list and explanation of policies governing the University of Wisconsin System.
- Wisconsin State Statutes
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
- Regent Policy Documents
- Office of General Counsel: Resources include written materials that provide summaries of legal requirements and answers to frequently asked questions on topics such as employee ethics, tenure and appointment, and academic staff appointments.
Policies by Topic
- Benefit Policies including vacation, sick leave, holiday and summer prepay deductions
- Equal Employment Opportunity Policies including Affirmative action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Sexual Harassment
- Human Resources Policies including personnel actions, compensatory time, criminal background checks and title change
- Payroll Policies including compensatory time, deductions and Social Security Corrections
- Titles and Compensation including University Staff Definitions and historical specifications
- Workplace Expectations Policy including Ethics, Holiday Displays and Political Activity
- Practice Directives may have been UPS policies, appendices or other tools intended to be used as a reference point informing practice at institutions