University Personnel System Operational Policies
The State of Wisconsin authorized and directed the University of Wisconsin System to develop two distinct new personnel systems:
- One for all UW-Madison employees: View the HR Design Policies
- One for all other UW System employees: View UPS Operational Policies
These new systems were implemented on July 1, 2015. These policies apply to all UW System employees statewide.
Unclassified Personnel Guidelines
The Unclassified Personnel Guidelines are provided as a historic reference. These policies were effective prior to implementation of UPS and HRD on July 1, 2015.
Other Related Policies Resources
- University of Wisconsin System Policies Homepage: Find a list and explanation of policies governing the University of Wisconsin System.
- Wisconsin State Statues
- Wisconsin Administrative Code
- Office of General Counsel: Resources include written materials that provide summaries of legal requirements and answers to frequently asked questions on topics such as employee ethics, tenure and appointment, and academic staff appointments.
Policies by Topic
- Benefit Policies including vacation, sick leave, holiday and summer prepay deductions
- Equal Employment Opportunity Policies including Affirmative action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Sexual Harassment
- Human Resources Policies including personnel actions, compensatory time, criminal background checks and title change
- Payroll Policies including compensatory time, deductions and Social Security Corrections
- Titles and Compensation including University Staff Definitions and historical specifications
- Workplace Expectations Policy including Ethics, Holiday Displays and Political Activity