May Policy Distribution Reminder
As a reminder, the May 2023 institution policy distribution includes one (1) new policy.
One (1) new policy:
- SYS 645, Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) Compliance
Please submit your feedback by Friday, June 2, 2023.
Click on the link above to view the draft and ensure that your feedback is captured for review during the post-comment period. Comments can include attachments, including word documents and PDFs.
Please find a summary of the items below.
SYS 645, Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) Compliance
- The policy provides detailed guidance to establish minimum standards for compliance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) (Public Law 101-601) throughout the University of Wisconsin (UW) System. Guidance to support compliance with this policy outline procedures including, oversight, training, consultation, documentation, handling, as well as consequences of noncompliance.
- The scope is limited to cultural items subject to and as defined in NAGPRA [25 U.S.C. § 3001(3)] (human remains, associated funerary objects, unassociated funerary objects, sacred objects, and objects of cultural patrimony) that are under control of the institution or are being reviewed for acquisition or accessioning.
May Policy Action Summary
Please find attached the. It details policy work completed between May 1 and 26, 2023. There was one (1) new and three (3) revised UW System Administrative policies.
- SYS 1293, Mandatory Employee Training (approved and effective May 2, 2023)
- SYS 346, Patents and Inventions (approved and effective May 24, 2023) *
- SYS 1210, Vacation, Paid Leave Banks, and Vacation Cash Payouts (approved and effective May 23, 2023) *
- SYS 1278, UW System Pay Plan Distribution Framework for University Workforce (approved and effective May 2, 2023)
*denotes first notice of the policy approval
FY 2022-2023 Policy Development and Communication Feedback Memo
Every biennium, University of Wisconsin System Administration (UWSA) collaborates with University of Wisconsin System (UW) institutions to obtain feedback on the current practices for policy development and communication. In Fiscal Year 2023, UWSA solicited feedback on the UW System Administrative (SYS) policy set through both virtual meetings and a Qualtrics survey. The attached memo summarizes the feedback received during these meetings and in the survey responses, as well as the steps that UWSA will take to incorporate that feedback into our policy development and communication processes. Our sincere thanks to all who participated in the feedback process and provided invaluable feedback that will help to shape future enhancements to the UW System Administrative policy process.
Expiring Interim Policy
SYS 100-01, Interim: Study Abroad Emergency Reserve/Contingency Fund Requirement Waiver is set to expire on May 31, 2023. This interim policy will be allowed to expire and will not be renewed.