UW System Administrative Policy 135 (SYS 135) University of Wisconsin System Undergraduate Transfer Policy (Formerly ACIS 6.0) sets general transfer policy for all UW System campuses. Key aspects of the policy, as well as other general transfer information, are summarized here:

Principles of Accommodation for UW Students

Principles established by the policy include:

  • Academic policies should apply to students transferring from another UW campus in the same way they apply to students who are continuing at the same UW campus. For example, the same requirements for admission to majors and programs should apply to both groups of students.
  • A course that fulfills a general education requirement (e.g., humanities) or an ethnic studies requirement at one UW campus should count as general education requirements or ethnic studies at the UW transfer campus.
  • Students who transfer with a UW Associate Degree will have satisfied university-wide, college or school general education at their UW transfer campus. Consult an advisor regarding additional proficiency, college, school, or program requirements not covered by this policy.

Residency Requirements

Most campuses require all students to complete a specific number of credits “in residence” at that institution in order to obtain a degree. Transfer students are responsible for fulfilling any such residency requirements.

Transferring from a UW Branch Campus or Technical College Campus

UW Branch Campuses:

  • Students may transfer credits in accordance with institution policy on transfer credit limits of the receiving institution.  Students should check with the intended transfer to institution for specific policies and procedures on transfer and credit transfer limits.
  • UW System Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program:
    Students who: (1) begin college at a UW branch campus, (2) earn the necessary credits for junior status at the UW campus they wish to attend, and (3) have a 2.0 GPA [3.20 for UW-Madison] are guaranteed admission to the UW transfer institution. Students must complete the Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program Form prior to earning 30 credits. Contact your institution for more information on the Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program.

Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS):

  • Students may generally transfer up to 72 credits from a non-baccalaureate institution. This includes transfer credits from programs at Wisconsin Technical Colleges.  Some UW campuses may accept additional credits, where appropriate.
  • Courses from WTCS associate degree occupational programs may be accepted by UW campuses in two ways:
    • Approved WTCS general education courses in communications, social sciences, behavioral sciences, mathematics, and natural science may transfer. Use the Transfer Course Wizard to learn how specific courses transfer.
    • In some cases, UW campuses will accept in transfer occupational/ technical courses from WTCS applied associate degree programs. You may find this information using the Transfer Course Wizard.
    • UW and WTCS campuses have many transfer (or articulation) agreements that permit WTCS students enrolled in specific associate degree programs to transfer additional occupational credit. These agreements are found in the articulation agreements section.

Transfer Credit Appeal Process

Upon being admitted, you will receive a credit evaluation showing how transferred courses equate to courses at your new campus. You will also receive a degree audit showing how your courses will apply toward particular program and degree requirements. (This degree audit may be a part of the credit evaluation or may be a separate document that you receive later.)

Review this information very carefully. If you believe there has been an error in the credits granted in transfer, or if you think a transfer course should count toward a particular requirement and it is not reflected on the degree audit, ask for a review.

Students have the right to appeal credit evaluations. The first step is to ask the individual or office that provided the evaluation to reconsider. If you are not satisfied with the resolution to your concern, you may file a formal appeal. Consult the individual listed as the transfer contact for your campus to discuss the appeal process. The Office of the Vice Chancellor can also provide you with campus policies regarding transfer, appeal procedures, and other academic matters.

Students’ Responsibilities

Plan Ahead

  • Consult academic advisors at both your campus and intended transfer campus as you plan your coursework each semester.
  • Know the graduation requirements you will need to complete.
  • Learn the admission requirements for the transfer campus and the college or school and program you wish to enter.
  • Apply early! Transfer students who have been admitted and whose credit evaluations are completed can register for classes with continuing students.

File Forms on Time

  • Transfer students must complete an Application for Admission and submit transcripts from all schools previously attended. Unless a student is transferring from a UW branch campus, an application fee is required.
  • Financial aid does not automatically transfer to another institution. Students applying for financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have it sent to the transfer campus. Some campuses also require an institutional financial aid application and a Financial Aid Transcript (FAT) that indicates what aid, if any, students received at their previous school(s).
  • Contact the appropriate offices (Admissions, Financial Aid, Housing) at the transfer campus regarding necessary forms and deadlines: Transfer Websites and Transfer Contacts.
  • Ask questions! If you experience any difficulty with transfer, let the people who can help know of your concerns!

Relevant Documents for SYS 135