Original Issuance Date: October 15, 2019
Last Revision Date: October 15, 2019
Effective Date: December 1, 2019
1. Policy Purpose
The purpose of this policy is to identify specific contracts that are excluded from competitive bidding. Due to the characteristics of these transactions, there typically is no competition to be sought.
2. Responsible UW System Officer
Associate Vice President for Administrative Services
This policy applies to contracts that fall under the Board of Regents procurement authority.
There are contracts that do not have material value or should not be competed due to unique circumstances. This policy identifies those specific categories.
6. Policy Statement
Certain transactions may be excluded from competitive bidding by the UW institution’s purchasing office if the products or services requested are unique, industry specific or unavailable from multiple suppliers. Exclusions from competitive bidding should be documented for future audit. The following are examples of such products or services which may be eligible to be excluded from the competitive process:
- Fees for subscriptions to journals/research databases
- Merchandise to be bought and resold by brand name and/or customer preference in a public or institution store, if no competition is available.
- Collaborative research arrangements that support the mission of the university (e.g. CERN)
- Redistribution of gift or grant funds for pre-designated purposes determined by the gift or grant
- Performers or Entertainers, intercollegiate athletic contracts and exhibitions or displays on university property
- Contracts for UW programs and operations located or implemented out of the United States (excluding travel)
- Surplus goods from another public entity, e.g. federal government surplus
- Contracts covered by UW System Administrative Policy 342, Extramural Support Administration
Grants from and contracts with private, profit-making organizations with a value of between $500,000 and $1,000,000 must be reviewed by an institution’s legal affairs office or the UW System Office of General Counsel prior to execution.
Grants from and contracts with private, profit-making organizations with a value of more than $1,000,000, as well as athletics employment contracts where the total annual compensation is greater than $500,000, must be reviewed by the UW System Office of General Counsel and require formal approval by the Board of Regents prior to execution.
7. Related Documents
- Regent Policy Document 13-1, General Contract Approval, Signature Authority, and Reporting
- UW System Administrative Policy 342, Extramural Support Administration
8. Policy History
First approved: October 15, 2019
9. Scheduled Review
October 15, 2024