Building Momentum with Early Career Development
UW System hosted a webinar from noon to 1 p.m. April 5, 2023, as a follow-up to the series on Integrating Purpose First to Promote Student Success.
Purpose First is a Complete College America (CCA) initiative that seeks to empower students with resources to make informed choices of majors, building early academic momentum and ultimately increasing their likelihood of success and completion. The initiative promotes the importance of early and intentional major and career exploration and strives to facilitate a culture of purpose that supports students as they work toward graduation and a rewarding career.
Details are provided below.
April 5, 2023, at 12:00 - 1:00 PM CST
Webinar Title: Building Momentum with Early Career Development
Webinar Speaker: Julia Panke Makela, Ph.D., Senior Director, Career Services, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign | Bio
College students experience development holistically, with academic, career, and personal growth intertwined. As such, successful transition to and through higher education calls for an integrated approach. This webinar shares intentional strategies for embedding career development into early interventions (from onboarding to the first-and second-year) – a practice that has been too often overlooked.
Using a theory-to-practice approach, we explore building partnerships across academic and student affairs, and discuss strategies for scaling up interventions in ways that focus resources on students with the greatest need. We spotlight examples of early interventions that help students transition, find their place on campus, and make informed decisions for their futures. We conclude with a strategic framework to help participants consider applications to their unique higher education environments.
Webinar Learning Outcomes
Webinar participants will be able to:
- Recognize that college student development is holistic, including academic, career, and personal growth
- Articulate the value of providing career development support early in students’ college experience
- Understand a model for scaling up career services interventions by meeting students where they are – at their current level of readiness
- Reflect on and identify key academic and student affairs partners within their institutional environment
- Consider common language, approaches, or frameworks that can bring partners together; as well as spaces to “embed career development expertise”
Looking for past summit information?
- Integrating Purpose First to Promote Student Success – October 2022 | Link
- Engaging and Retaining Students – October 2021 | Link
- Scaling Up Summer Bridge Programs – April 2021 | Link
For additional questions regarding the upcoming webinar or past summits, please contact Angie Kellogg, email@example.com.