UW System President Jay Rothman statement on the 50th anniversary of Title IX
Thursday, June 23, 2022
“Fifty years ago today, the strongest federal protection prohibiting sexual discrimination in schools, universities, and educational programs receiving federal funding was signed into law. Since its enactment, Title IX has had an enduring impact on gender equity by revolutionizing women’s access to athletics and educational opportunities. Title IX also addresses issues related to sexual harassment and sexual misconduct, pay equity, and gender discrimination. The University of Wisconsin System continues to advance Title IX progress through initiatives that work toward creating and maintaining an inclusive and equitable community for our faculty, staff, and students as well as others who interact with our universities.
“The University of Wisconsin System today celebrates the 50th anniversary of Title IX and its continued impact on the lives and experiences of faculty, staff, students, and the community.”
Recent Title IX Legal Updates
- On May 6, 2020, the U.S. Department of Education issued final updated Title IX regulations regarding sexual harassment and sexual assault, which became effective on August 14, 2020.
- On August 5, 2020, the UW Board of Regents approved emergency rules to comply with the updated Title IX regulations.
- On June 2, 2021, those temporary rules became permanent.
- On July 12, 2022, the U.S. Department of Education issued a notice of proposed rulemaking.
- Recently, the U.S. Department of Education indicated that it plans to release final Title IX regulations in May 2023.
- The U.S. Department of Education was planning to issue a notice of proposed rulemaking in December 2022 regarding the participation of transgender athletes in sports. However, that notice has not yet been published in the federal register.
- The UW System has stood up a set of internal systemwide committees to discuss the issues related to Title IX.
For more information on these updates, please visit the links below.
- UW System emergency rules for Title IX compliance
- U.S. Department of Education issued a notice of proposed rulemaking
- U.S. Department of Education to release final Title IX regulations in May 2023
- U.S. Department of Education proposed rulemaking for the participation of transgender athletes in sports