The following transfer information is relevant for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 only.
You can begin your education as a freshman associate degree (two-year) program student at a UW branch campus* and receive “guaranteed” admission to another UW System institution as a junior by participating in the UW System Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program. After fulfilling certain credit and grade point average requirements, you will transfer with the same rights and privileges as those who begin their education at the four-year institution.
How to Participate
- Begin as a new freshman in an associate degree program at any one of the UW System’s 13 two-year campuses.
- Submit a form at any time prior to the start of your sophomore year (30 credits) at the UW two-year campuses.
- Complete the number of credits required for junior status at the four-year institution with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (note: GPA requirement is 3.2 for students planning to attend UW-Madison). You have three academic years from the time of enrolling at the two-year campus in which to complete the minimum credits required. The four-year institution may make exceptions to the required number of credits for those majors/programs for which early transfer is recommended.
- Please note: Some transfer GPAs are calculated using the formula/method of the four-year institution:
- UW-Madison computes the GPA for transfer students in accordance with UW-Madison’s grading practices. Accordingly for any two-year campus student who repeated a course, both grades are computed in determining the UW-Madison GPA. Thus, the student’s two-year campus GPA could be different from the GPA used by UW-Madison to determine whether the minimum GPA is met.
- UW-Whitewater computes grade point average for transfer admission based on current UW-Whitewater grading policy. Under this policy, courses may be repeated only if the original grade is C- or lower. Additionally, courses may be repeated only one time; subsequent attempts of F grades will be averaged until the student has passed the course. Also, incomplete grades will be considered as F for purposes of determining grade point average.
The Guaranteed Transfer Program guarantees admission to the four-year institution only and not to the specific program or major. You must meet the same criteria (e.g., GPA, course requirements, etc.) for admission to specific majors/programs as continuing students at the four-year institution.
Please note: UW-Madison has an application deadline for Transfer Contract students. For more information visit UW-Madison’s transfer agreements page.
Visit MajorMania to learn about specific programs or majors at the UW Institutions.
Transfer of Classes
The guarantee of admission applies only to the institution and not to the specific program or major. Your advisor can help you in choosing courses that will best fulfill your needs for transfer.
You can get more information about transfer through the University of Wisconsin System’s Transfer-Wisconsin.
Transfer-Wisconsin provides information about:
- each UW System institution including information on admissions, financial aid, registration and housing
- courses and academic programs and transfer guides and agreements between UW institutions
- how courses transfer between UW System institutions.
Transfer-Wisconsin is a useful tool for students at any time in the transfer planning process.
Transferring to Four-Year Institutions
Students will be allowed to participate in the Guaranteed Transfer Admission Program with only one receiving institution.
Visit Transfer-Wisconsin for more information on campus admissions information and general information about any UW Institution.
UW Two-year Campuses
* In the UW System the term two-year campus refers to any one of the 13 branch campuses that comprised UW Colleges prior to July 1, 2018.
|UW Institution||UW Two-Year Campus|
|UW-Eau Claire||UW-Eau Claire – Barron County|
|UW-Green Bay||UW-Green Bay, Manitowoc Campus
UW-Green Bay, Marinette Campus
UW-Green Bay, Sheboygan Campus
|UW-Milwaukee||UW-Milwaukee at Washington County
UW-Milwaukee at Waukesha
|UW-Oshkosh||University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Fond du Lac Campus
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Fox Cities Campus
|UW-Platteville||UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County
|UW-Stevens Point||UW-Stevens Point at Wausau
UW-Stevens Point at Marshfield
|UW-Whitewater||UW-Whitewater at Rock County|