This policy addresses precollege and youth activities involving minors at UW institutions; specifically, youth protection, regulatory compliance, and collection of data pertaining to minors.
The purpose of this policy is to communicate the Board of Regents’ expectation that UW institutions consider the full impact and risks of hosting minors in higher education settings and the importance of proper data collection. This is to ensure all programs and staff hosting minors on UW campuses comply with minimum safety standards and protocols. This policy recognizes that the well-being of minors on campus is of utmost importance to the UW System.
It is the policy of the UW System Board of Regents that each UW System institution shall seek to provide a safe environment for minor visitors to campus and campus lands through the establishment of proper safeguards and controls for all precollege and youth activities. To address this, the Board of Regents directs the UW System President to adopt a UW System policy requiring UW institutions to ensure all events, processes around collecting data, and activities that serve minors under the auspices of a UW System institution adhere to minimum standards designed to address the well-being and safety of minors.
Members of the university community shall comply with applicable safety and compliance policies to fulfill their shared responsibility for maintaining a safe campus environment for minors. Chancellors shall monitor and address any emerging youth and precollege risks that may arise within an institution and shall notify the UW System President of significant instances of noncompliance.
Oversight, Roles, and Responsibilities
The UW System President or designee shall formulate operating policies and procedures to implement and administer this policy. Each Chancellor or designee shall be responsible for implementing institutional actions to implement the operating policies and/or procedures.
The UW System Office of Compliance and Integrity will provide support to the Chancellors in performing their responsibilities and assist in coordinating activities under this policy.
Related Regent Policies and Applicable Laws
- Regent Policy Document 20-19, “University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy”
- Regent Policy Document 23-2, “Health, Safety and Security at UW System Institutions”
- Regent Policy Document 25-5, “Information Technology: Information Security”
- Chapter UWS 17, Wis. Admin. Code, “Nonacademic Student Disciplinary Procedures”
- Chapter UWS 18, Wis. Admin. Code, “Conduct on University Lands”
- Wisconsin Statute Section 48.981(2)(a)
- 2011 Executive Order #54 Relating to Supplemental Mandatory Reporting Requirements of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 [20 U.S.C. § 1681]
- Jeanne Clery Disclosure Act [20 U.S.C. § 1092(f)]
- US Code of Federal Regulations [34 C.F.R. 668.46]
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (“COPPA”)
History: Res. 11780, adopted 02/11/2022, created Regent Policy Document 23-3.