As home to the nation’s first public kindergarten, Wisconsin has a proud history of visionary educators incubating innovative educational opportunities for students, families, and their communities.
The Office of Educational Opportunity is proud to be a partner in the Badger State’s living legacy of educational innovations. Our role is to connect students, families, professional educators, and community leaders with an opportunity to create a school that meets their needs and interests.
If you have an idea for a school, then we invite you to review and respond to our Request for Proposal (RFP). Details about how we will score applications are provided in the linked rubrics, but for us to “green light” any proposal, it must provide access to new educational innovations, incubate existing educational practices in new ways, and/or increase educational equity.
- The Office of Educational Opportunity will begin seeking our second request for proposals for public charter schools on July 1, 2019.
- Phase 1 submissions will be scored on a rolling basis using the reviewer guide shared below.
- Applicants with approved Phase 1 applications will be invited to submit a Phase II application (Phase II applications that are submitted without an approved Phase 1 will be returned to the applicant without being reviewed).
- The School Selection Committee will score Phase 2 submissions using the reviewer guide provided below. The Committee will make authorization recommendations to OEO’s Director.
- Applicants who receive a recommendation for authorization from the School Selection Committee may commence contract negotiations with OEO’s Director – subject to the Director accepting the Committee’s recommendation for authorization.
- If mutually agreeable contract terms are reached, then the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents must approve of the contract for any school to be officially authorized by OEO.
Deadlines and Information
Schools with an Approved Phase I Prospectus may Submit a Phase II Application by the Deadline below.
OEO will accept Phase 1 Applications starting July 1, 2019.
Application is due: December 6, 2019. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Response by Charter School Selection team: By February 1, 2020
Review – NOTE: Phase II cannot be submitted until, and unless, a Phase I Prospectus is approved.
Contract Negotiations: Timing will vary by applicant.
For more information see UWSA’s.
For Further Information About Applying
For more information, technical assistance, or meeting requests, do not hesitate to contact OEO by email or calling 608-262-4049.
Information about submissions will be made public on a monthly basis on this website. Information disclosed will include the name of the primary applicant, proposed school name, proposed grade levels served, and status of application.