Charter Schools for Wisconsin
We use a fair, rigorous, and equitable process to review proposals for public charter schools pursuant to section 118.40(2x) and 1180.40(3m) of Wisconsin Statutes, including the principals and standards from the National Association of Charter School Authorizers.
Proposal Standards and Review Criteria
The Office of Educational Opportunity (OEO) recognizes the tremendous public trust and responsibility it carries to authorize taxpayer funding for a school, and most importantly for parents to trust a school to care for and educate their children. We also recognize the unacceptable gaps in educational opportunities for Wisconsin kids and the need for new approaches.
To advance any proposal through our review process, it must increase educational equity by providing students with access to educational innovations or incubating existing educational practices in innovative ways. While we do not have an exact definition of “innovation,” potential applicants should consider the Ten Leaps for Equitable 21st Century Learning from Transcend Education.
Questions Asked When Reviewing a Charter School Proposal
Proposal and Review Process
The process to start a new charter school consists of several stages from the proposal to school opening:
- An “intent to apply” notice using our contact form;
- A Phase 1 prospectus proposal;
- A Phase 2 proposal;
- A review by the OEO Advisory Council*, which may include:
- requests for additional information;
- an in-person interview with the applicants and the advisory council;
- A final recommendation to the UW System President
- Contract negotiations;
- Board of Regents approval of a final contract; and
- Completion of pre-opening requirements defined in the contract.
An applicant who is not successful at any stage will not be invited to a further stage, but could potentially apply in a future proposal cycle.
*OEO convenes an Advisory Council to make recommendations related to charter school authorizing under its statutory authority. OEO will publish the names of the current Advisory Council members and their consensus recommendation of a proposal once the review process is complete. If you are interested in participating, please complete the Advisory Council Interest form.
2020 Proposal Information
OEO’s 2020 proposal process intends to align with the timing and requirements from the UW Board of Regents for approving a new charter school, and the Department of Public Instruction to:
Anyone or group interested in potentially submitting a proposal for an independent public charter school authorized by OEO, must submit an intent to apply form before submitting a Phase 1 proposal.
Note this is NOT an evaluation but assists OEO with planning and background to understand the proposal in its appropriate context and to discuss any potential modifications to the application timeline.
Phase I proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis from May-October, 2020. Phase II proposals are due November 1. OEO intends to provide final decisions by December. OEO will evaluate requests to modify deadlines on an individual basis.
Phase 1 Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis from May through October, 2020. OEO will review Phase 1 proposals and provide a written response within three weeks that includes a:
- Completed Phase 1 Rubric; and
- OEO determination as to whether the proposal is denied or approved for a Phase 2 submission.
All Phase 2 proposals are due by November 1st, 2020. OEO intends to provide final decisions by December.
- View 2020 Phase I Proposal
Proposal is due: November 1st, 2020.
- Review NOTE: Phase II cannot be submitted until, and unless, a Phase I Prospectus is approved
Phase II proposal should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contract Negotiations: Timing will vary by applicant.
For more information see UWSA’s.
Request for Proposal Responses
The Office of Educational Opportunity (OEO) is committed to a transparent review process for the proposals it receives. An OEO decision is not binding authority on any future decision. Each applicant is evaluated based on its unique content and context.
Proposals with OEO Response
List of Proposals Received
- The Lincoln Academy (Beloit)
- Prairie Hill Waldorf School (Madison)
- Lake Country Academics Classical Academy (Dousman)
- Isthmus Montessori (Madison)
- One City Elementary School (Madison)
- Arbor Community School (Monona)
- Community Learning Design, Inc (Edgerton)
- One City School Preparatory Academy (Madison)
- Athlos Academy (West Allis)
- Central Sands Community High School (Amherst)
- Kenosha School of Technology Enhanced Curriculum High School (Kenosha)
- New Leaf Preparatory Academy (Howard-Suamico)
- Sankofa Community Academy (Kenosha)
- Ignite Academy (Madison)
- UpGrade Media Arts Center (Pewaukee)
- Adeline Montessori School (Waukesha)
- Racine Scholars Academy (Racine)