Fall 2015 marks the 20th Anniversary Celebration hosted by UW System
The UW System Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards honor the contributions women of color have made to the UW System, and in particular, to diversity and women’s studies. This year the UW System will host the 20th Anniversary Celebration of this Award. The awards and recognition ceremony was initiated in 1994 to acknowledge the ties and shared concerns among administrators, faculty, staff, and students within women’s studies and ethnic studies, and to uphold a continuing commitment to Plan 2008: Educational Quality through Racial and Ethnic Diversity (work that continues through Inclusive Excellence efforts across the UW System). The annual awards ceremony confers well-earned acknowledgement by both the UW System and home campus communities.
Recipients are formally recognized at an awards ceremony and luncheon, held in conjunction with the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ People.
Successful candidates will be women of color whose contributions have advanced the work of diversity, equity, and Inclusive Excellence in the following ways:
- Whose advocacy, activism, or scholarship has fostered social justice and organizational change;
- Who have created positive transformation within their institutions and/or the community to achieve the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- Whose efforts are improving the climate for, or status of, people of color.
The selection guidelines for the Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards:
- The selection of honorees is entirely campus-based: Chancellors, in consultation with the Multicultural / Disadvantaged Coordinator, Chief Diversity Officer, Women’s Studies Administrator, Ethnic Studies Administrator, Affirmative Action Administrator, LGBTQ Coordinator, or campus contact for Inclusive Excellence will select one honoree.
- Honorees may be drawn from the following groups: UW System faculty, staff, student, or community member.
Please check with your Chancellors Office for campus nomination deadlines. Institutions will submit items for one award recipient electronically to Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success.
The University of Wisconsin System Office of Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success (IDEASS) supports the awards ceremony and attendance at the luncheon for a limited number of family and guests (2 campus administrators, 2 guests) of the honorees. Campuses are asked to cover the cost of their honoree’s transportation to and from the conference and any necessary lodging.
The next Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards ceremony will be the 20th Anniversary Celebration held during the fall of 2015 along with the Dr. P.B. Poorman Award for Outstanding Achievement on Behalf of LGBTQ People, and the October 2015 Board of Regents Meeting.
For questions contact Chris Navia email@example.com.