The Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award was created in 1994 to honor women of color from around the state for their leadership in making significant and lasting contributions to their campuses, their communities, or both.
Successful candidates are women of color whose contributions have advanced the work of diversity, equity, and Inclusive Excellence in the following ways:
- Whose advocacy, activism, or scholarship has fostered social justice and organizational change;
- Who have created positive transformation within their institutions and/or the community to achieve the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion; and
- Whose efforts are improving the climate for, or status of, people of color.
The selection guidelines for the Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards are:
- The selection of honorees is entirely campus-based. Chancellors, in consultation with the Multicultural / Disadvantaged Coordinator, Chief Diversity Officer, Women’s Studies Administrator, Ethnic Studies Administrator, Affirmative Action Administrator, LGBTQ+ Coordinator, or campus contact for Inclusive Excellence will select one honoree.
- Honorees may be drawn from the following groups: UW System faculty, staff, student, or community member.
Outstanding Women of Color in Education Award Recipients
- Stacey M. Jackson, Assistant Professor of Psychology, University Counseling Center Clinician, UW-Eau Claire
- Robyn Davis, President and CEO, Brown County United Way, Green Bay, Wis., selected by UW-Green Bay
- Jazzma Holland, Interim Assistant Director, Multicultural Student Services, UW-La Crosse
- Carolina S. Sarmiento, Assistant Professor, School of Human Ecology; Affiliate, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, UW-Madison
- Wilkistar Otieno, Associate Professor, Chair, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department, UW-Milwaukee
- Heidi J. Nicholls, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, UW Oshkosh
- Trina D. Patterson, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, UW-Parkside
- Brittany Sherman, Multicultural Advisor, Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, UW-Platteville
- Dionna Berzat, Student, Elementary Education Major, Communication Studies Minor, UW-River Falls
- Guresi Mena, Assistant Coach, Women’s Volleyball, UW-Stevens Point
- Masako Onodera, Professor, Department of Art and Art History, UW-Stout
- Cherie Dakota, Assistant Professor, Social Work, UW-Superior
- Tanya Y. Kam, Professor, Department of Literature and Languages, UW-Whitewater
2023 Awards Ceremony & Reception
November 9, 2023
The 2023 Outstanding Women of Color & P.B. Poorman Awards Ceremony & Reception will take place on November 9, 2023. Get the event details and RSVP today.
Previous Award Recipients
Biographies of each recipient are in the awards ceremony programs.