Fall 2015 marks the 20th Anniversary Celebration hosted by UW System
The UW System Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards honor the contributions women of color have made to the UW System, and in particular, to diversity and women’s studies. This year the UW System will host the 20th Anniversary Celebration of this Award. The awards and recognition ceremony was initiated in 1994 to acknowledge the ties and shared concerns among administrators, faculty, staff, and students within women’s studies and ethnic studies, and to uphold a continuing commitment to Plan 2008: Educational Quality through Racial and Ethnic Diversity (work that continues through Inclusive Excellence efforts across the UW System). The annual awards ceremony confers well-earned acknowledgement by both the UW System and home campus communities.
Recipients are formally recognized at an awards ceremony and luncheon, held in conjunction with the P.B. Poorman Award.
Any woman of color who is a UW System faculty, staff, student or active community member, and fits the following criteria is eligible for this award:
- Women of color who have worked in the areas of women’s studies scholarship and activism, especially as they have served to improve the status and climate for women, particularly women of color.
- Women of color who have advocated for women, particularly women of color.
- Women of color who have consistently demonstrated their ability to rally diverse forces together to advance the agenda of women, particularly that of women of color.
- Women of color who have created positive changes at your institutional level (i.e. curriculum development and infusion, receiving grants, and mentoring women).
- Women of color who have demonstrated an understanding of the interplay of family and community and culture in the lives of women of color.
The selection process for the Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards is:
- The selection is entirely campus-based: Chancellors- in consultation with the campus Multicultural/Disadvantaged Coordinator, Women’s Studies Administrator, campus contact for the Status of Women, and Affirmative Action Officer – will select one woman of color from their institution who has made outstanding contributions to the UW System (diversity and women’s studies scholarship and activism).
- The Chancellor’s Office will notify the selected honoree. The Conference Planning Committee will communicate with the honoree about the details of the ceremony, reception, and conference.
- Once the selection is completed, UW System institutions are required to submit the following items to the UW System Office of Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success:
- Completed honoree information form;
- An electronic photograph suitable for display online (72 dpi, no larger than 700 pixles on the longest side).
- A one-page summary of honoree’s contributions based upon the eligibility criteria outlined, above.
Please check with your Chancellors Office for campus nomination deadlines. Institutions will submit items for one award recipient electronically to Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success.
The University of Wisconsin System Office of Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity, and Student Success (IDEASS) supports the awards ceremony and attendance at the luncheon for a limited number of family and guests (2 campus administrators, 2 guests) of the honorees. Campuses are asked to cover the cost of their honoree’s transportation to and from the conference and any necessary lodging.
The next Outstanding Women of Color in Education Awards ceremony will be the 20th Anniversary Celebration held during the fall of 2015 along with the P. B. Poorman Award, and the October 2015 Board of Regents Meeting.
For questions contact Chris Navia firstname.lastname@example.org.